Egypt Terror Attack

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by spacefreak4, Jul 23, 2005.

1. spacefreak4 macrumors member

Well if the world hasn't had enough attacks lately...

Link

The world seems to be going quite crazy these past few days...

2. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

We have a SERIOUS problem in the world right now. Much more so than I think people were thinking. It really needs to be addressed by more than just a handful of countries.

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yeah, the world is going mad. I wouldn't have thought that Egypt was the next target. I thought Spain, Italy, Australia, or the US was the next target.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

That's seriously horrible. For once I'm happy that Australia is pretty isolated and hasn't had too much trouble so far although who knows how long that will last. I really feel for the poor families who have lost loved ones.

5. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

The Egypt attack just continues the sad news of late. Just another place to add to my prayers. Terrorists now seem to be attacking Allies of the United States. Somehow we need to change the culture that breeds this tendency toward violence.

6. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

Actually, Egypt is not the next target per se. It has been the target of militant extremists from the attacks on a police compound that killed 120 in 1981 to the more recent attacks on that resort a few months ago.
    Militant anger at Egypt stems mainly from President Anwar Sadat's peace treaty with Israel in 1977.

7. Jedda macrumors regular

Jedda

Super.

I just put my girlfriend and her mother on a plane for Egypt (for a holiday).

This is just what i needed to hear...

8. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

The resort that was attacked was popular with Israeli tourists.

Remember the last attack on Egypt? Interesting note you wouldn't learn in the US: Israel was the first responder. However the Egyptians didn't clear the medivac pilots into Egyptian airspace.

Friendly guys. At least Egypt and Israel have a peace treaty...

Don't listen to the news. My parents have been to Israel and I will be soon. It is an extremely safe country. The news just makes Israel look like a war-zone. It isn't. Don't use the news for your information...sorry as that is.

9. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Yes, I wish the U.S and Great Britain would also start addressing terror instead of using it as an excuse to get more oil contracts in the middle east while stirring up more terror in the process. :mad:

Edit: I'm sorry if I came off a bit too harsh. My point is that the countries of the world need to work together if we're going to stand a chance of fighting terror, and that means that the U.S and GB can't go off on their own and start a war. Whatever we do we have to stick to a democratic process to be able to justify any military action that is taken. The way it has been done now can so easily be used as arguments by extremist recruiting efforts: The west are the evil aggressors who seek to destroy islam.

10. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

It hurts me deeply to see Egypt get hurt so bad. Egypt and Cairo in particular had some of the nicest people and one of the best atmospheres I've been to in all the countries I've visited. Egypt relies heavily on tourism and these attacks will just deter more people from going. At least no one is attacking they pyramids or temples, that would be devastating.

jon

11. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

So far it seems that they want to kill and injury as many people as possible. Then seem to hit at a time when the most victims will be around. Life means nothing to them. Hence willing to commit suicide.

12. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

It's all about respect and these people don't have it. Egyptians have the up most respect for people, other Egyptians and even Americans. During my travels the only negative comment towards America was "We love America, just not Bush." Depending on who you talk to that could be a fair and positive statement. People don't even lock their businesses on the streets when they venture out cause it is just so uncommon and unheard of to commit thievery and steal anything, just completely disrespectful to them.

jon

13. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Actually...

First two sentences are true. But life does mean something to a homicide bomber. They want to do great things in this life to have a nice after life. Think of the amish people, but instead of working until you die you just... die.

And they don't commit suicide. Thats if they blow up and do not kill anyone. They are really homicide bombers. They murder, they do not kill.

14. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Agreed, many of these guys do this for money for their family, respect, better afterlife. It's terrible to think that exists but that's the way the world turns over there.

jon