Eisner's advice to striking writers: Blame Steve Jobs, not ...

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by furcalchick, Nov 7, 2007.

1. macrumors 68020

furcalchick

the former ceo of disney said that steve jobs is to blame for the current screenwriters strike, saying the disputes over digital distribution fees were the fault of his iTunes system putting the shows on the internet on the first place, and that without iTunes, we wouldn't see a strike now.

link to article: http://www.news.com/8301-13577_3-9812703-36.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-5

2. macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

so can i blame henry ford for the rise in gas costs??

3. macrumors 6502

Ridiculous argument. If it wasn't Apple, someone else would have got there first instead, probably Microsoft.

The studios are just pissed technology is moving on and they didn't think of it first.

4. macrumors member

Eh? The strike is about all forms of digital distribution, including DVD sales.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7082456.stm

(emphasis mine)

I imagine that's significant enough.

5. macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

It was significant enough for Family Guy to get them back on the air....

6. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

F*****g hypocrite. He jumped on board when new avenues of revenue were available but now doesn't want all involved in the content's creation to share in it.

7. macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

This is his yardstick to measure the success of digital downloads? I don't think anyone would download that even if it were free. He acts as though selling media online is a money-losing venture (I'm talking about the stuff people actually want to watch). You just stick it up on iTunes and wait for people to buy it. It's an additional revenue stream. How is that bad?

8. macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    Pssst...

Michael Eisner is a lunatic. Just ask the folks at Disney.

9. macrumors 68000

Silencio

The writers really blew it with their last contract. Back then, in the early 80s, it wasn't clear that home video would take off, so they gave away the vast majority of proceeds from those sales to the studios.

Today, screenwriters only get a few pennies out of every DVD sold.

You can see why they are anxious to not make the same mistake again with digital distribution.

And who the hell listens to Eisner now, anyway? The guy nearly ran Disney into the ground. Getting insight into the entertainment industry from Eisner is a bit like interviewing John Sculley for a piece about where the computing industry is heading.

10. macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

That's exactly what I was thinking. Maybe the studios aren't paying them for the additional revenue streams? That would be crap.

[Slightly OT/Rant]: I personally think most of the writers these days suck. Most of the stuff on TV certainly isn't worth watching. The funny thing is sadly it's mostly the primetime shows. How much sex can they thrown in? Serisouly, learn to write decent material. Even sex gets boring to the hypersexual society.[/Rant]

11. macrumors 601

jaw04005

You wonder how much Steve Jobs had to do with Eisner leaving Disney. Personally, I never liked Eisner—I always felt like he cheapened the Disney brand.

I had a friend who worked at Disney during the opening of the Splash Mountain attraction. He told me that rumors circulated that Eisner and his son tested the ride before it opened and came off of it soaking wet. He then instructed the Disney engineers to reconfigure the ride so that passengers wouldn't get as wet as originally planned—delaying the ride's opening by months.

12. macrumors demi-god

szark

[Slightly OT]Remember though, that what you see on TV is filtered by what the studios wish to produce, and what the studios wish to put on the air. Lots of scripts never see the light of day, so you aren't necessarily seeing the writers' best work.[/OT]

On topic: Eisner's statement is idiotic. :)

13. macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

Yeah, that's a pretty stupid comment. If there are no profits online, then why does he care if writers want a share of the 'non-existent' revenue? That's how writers got bamboozled last time: "we don't know if there will be profits in dvds, so don't ask for any sharing". Well, it transpired that profits eventually showed up, and writers were screwed royally for decades. Same here. All writers are saying is: "if and when revenues show up online, we'd like a cut" - eminently fair - no revenues, no share, but if there are, you share. Simple. Also, does anyone but a dinosuar like Eisner not believe that one day business will figure out how to monetize the web? Bwahahahahaha! Of course, one day they'll figure it out - at which point writers should get their fair share.

14. macrumors 604

gkarris

Throws More Fuel Onto The Fire..

Aren't the "free with some ads" distribution like the shows at NBC.com something to strike about as well?

(runs and hides...)

15. macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

Clearly jealousy. He hates seeing Jobs on the board that struggled for so many years to remove him.

16. macrumors 68000

Silencio

He had a lot to do with it. Remember when Jobs and Eisner were squabbling over the terms of the Pixar distribution deal and Jobs got so fed up, he said Pixar would go out on its own? And remember how when Eisner finally got forced out, Pixar came back to Disney almost straight away?

I love seeing Jobs stick it to clueless execs.

17. macrumors 6502a

boss1

Ok Eisner, good job at predictably ranting about a company you envy. Good job at providing nothing but a pointing crooked finger at a problem you have no clue as to how to resolve. The level of input you provide to this industry is akin to a less then mediocre couch critic.

We have problems with the housing market... let's see, hey! guy on your couch what do you think we should do? Guy on the couch responds, "Banks! they have money, that's where your problem is... it's the banks!". Well thank you for you intuitiveness couch critic, Eisner what do you think? . Eisner responds, "I concur".

How about you retire now ok? Oh wait you've already done that! which makes your presence in this situation here even more puzzling.

Nobody cares what you think about the writers guild, nobody cares about your failed Vuguuru or whatever it is. Go home and cry more please.

btw, this isn't the first time we've heard a call for Apple to split profits on hardware, however it still doesn't make the call for this type of action logical.

If you fail to make a profit from digital sales because the market of actual buyers are small, piracy is still a problem, you're marketing budget's are ridiculously high because the competition is enormous and they systems of marketing controls are out of control. That's your problem! not Apple's.

I hope you and whomever else might be behind any legal action in the future toward trying to take a piece of Apple's hardware profits with this premise gets laughed at by the judge and public.

Perhaps J Lo should ask for piece of Alpine profits for car radio's her music plays on because she failed to be the top selling artist this season also?

18. macrumors bot

19. macrumors 6502

At least he's consistent

Eisner has lost the plot altogether, keeping in sync with many of his movies.
    There is no profitable digital revolution, according to him, thus the writers' strike is worthless since they are clearly jousting at wind-mills, YET, SJ is a b@st@rd because he has profited from the very same "revolution" and taken the writers et al. to the cleaners.

The man is mad! Rabies shots, or too late???

20. macrumors regular

<somewhat OT>Fortunately, Eisner's making the observation on Fox Business News will minimize its impact, since that appears to be one of the most disastrous (read: low-rated) Fox launchings in recent memory.</somewhat OT>

21. macrumors 65816

Yes, the writer's want a cut of the advertising revenue from that as well.

22. macrumors regular

To blame an industry wide strike on one person, who is barley part of said industry, is ludicrous.

Let us be honest the writer is the least glorified position, receiving the lowest amount of gratitude and praise. The average writer in the 'writers room' is never known by the people merely the head writer is credited with the work of the entire room, sometimes as many as 30 peoples work gets the credited to the 1 or 2 head writers.

The strike is about credit and yes money is in this capitalist state is credit/status.

Do we remember when Conan O'brien was insulting every country in the world? That was to discover where his show was being syndicated, as NBC wouldn't not tell him to save on royalties.

23. macrumors newbie

and this is why Steve is on the board and you are not

What a moron. Look at how much iTunes has helped these companies. what a joke. I hate Eisner. It's amazing how dumb people are.

24. macrumors newbie

No Joke!

I couldn't agree with you more. As a Disney fan, I can't stand that guy. He's so into the $$ signs, he should work for Micro$oft. He did nothing good for the Disney company in the last 10 years of his tenure. He had "No Confidence" votes for his last two years there till he finally stepped down.

He's just jealous because he is no Steve Jobs. Can you blame him? He hasn't had a whole lot of success at this internet thing.

25. macrumors 65816

chr1s60

So Jobs putting tv on the internet makes it ok to rip off writers?