Eject button on the network icon

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Will_reed, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Will_reed macrumors 6502

Will_reed

why does my network button in the finder have an eject button next to it and the idisk doesnt? I saw this problem in many versions of panther and even now when I upgrade to 10.4 its still there
    has anyone else seen this?

2. baummer macrumors 6502a

Because the iDisk is an integrated part of OS X. Your network drive is interpreted by OS X as an attached drive that can be removed at will, which is why it has an eject button. No different than plugging in an external hard drive directly to your Mac.

3. Will_reed thread starter macrumors 6502

Will_reed

yeah I know the network drives should have them but the network icon itself shouldn't. You know the one that says network and you click on it to see all the computers on your network to select a network drive?

4. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Yeah, sometimes it has one and sometimes it doesn't. Clicking the eject button doesn't eject anything and the button still remains.

This is a poor example, because currently mine lacks the eject button - but I have seen it in the past (as in since 10.4.1 and prior including 10.3)

Attached Files:

5. .:*Robot Boy*:. macrumors 6502

I have the superfluous eject icon next to my network shortcut... clicking it just seems to list the mounted drives on my PowerBook. I guess you use it to get back to your list of mounted drives quickly after mounting one :confused:.

I've attached a 'before and after' for those of you who are afraid to click the eject icon :p.

Attached Files:

6. Makosuke macrumors 603

There must be some logic to this, but I've seen it myself and haven't managed to figure it out yet, either.

In my case, at least under 10.3, clicking the eject button does nothing at all (unless the network item is selected, in which case it deselects it)--it doesn't even change what's in the Finder window.

I do know I generally see it at work, where a network is actually present, but not at home, where there is none. Maybe that's got something to do with it. Or perhaps only when there's a Windows network present?

7. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Yeah I noticed this a while ago. I just got baffled, clicked the eject button a few times, and then figured it's just a fluke or a bug or something and promptly forgot about it. Guess it's not a priority for Apple either.

8. .:*Robot Boy*:. macrumors 6502

I haven't encountered the mysterious Eject button under Tiger.

9. andysmith macrumors 6502

I have this occasionally too - never noticed it in Panther, only Tiger.

I always fix it by Force Quitting/Relaunching Finder - easiest way is Ctrl-Opt-Click the Finder dock icon and hit Relaunch :)