"Eject HD"

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by hcuar, Sep 19, 2004.

1. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

Ok... this is a strange question that I'm not willing to experiment with. What happens if you drag your hard drive to the trash. It changes to the eject icon... Hmm if it unmounts the HD... that seems like a problem, or does it power off the machine?

2. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

That is a very good question. I doubt it does anything bad if you drag the HD icon to the trash to 'eject' it; remember Apple designs there stuff very simple. I don't think they would have it where someone who doesn't know computers well could simply drag the icon the trash and something big/bad would happen (erase data, format HD, etc.).

3. Spizzo macrumors 6502

I have to eject my external HD before i disconnect it. But if i restart my comp., it will reconize the HD again. So i assume, that if you do this, and it "ejects" your HD, you can just restart, and it will be back.

4. PeterBonnar macrumors member

If you drag you HD to the trash...
    Mac OSX asks you to type in the administrator password,
    then it comes up with an error saying the disk could not be ejected that it contains items that are in use.

Do you think apple would really design software that could let you wreck your computer so easy?

5. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

It shoots the HD out of the top of the case.

jk, it doesn't let you eject your boot disk

6. H&Kie macrumors regular

FWIW, in OS 9 you can trash your HD after starting up from CD. It will unmount then. I don't know if the disk reappears after restart (but I guess so), cause I continued my planned reinstallation. To do so the HD needed to be initialized.

So follow all these steps and you'll sure get rid of your data (well, in OS9)

7. hcuar thread starter macrumors 65816

hcuar

Thanks! I didn't think it would actually let you unmount your boot drive. However, I'm used to Windows which will let you make your boot drive inactive. (Very stupid because it will corrupt the kernel, I've tried it). So... i didn't want to try and "eject" the HD.

8. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Actually, if you unmount an external hard drive, all you have to do to remount it is unplug it from the computer and plug it back in. Or you can go to Disk Utility, select the volume in question, and select "Mount" from the "File" menu. The second trick works for any drive that's unmounted but connected. You can never unmount a disk that has files which are in use--this especially includes your boot disk.

9. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I booted up my pc into windows and have been trying to "deactivated" my windows boot drive with no luck. I'd say that not even ms isn't that stupid to allow you to do this. Can anyone tell me how I might do this?