Eject key problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by stromie952, Jan 22, 2004.

1. stromie952 macrumors regular

Hi all. My eject key is not functioning properly anymore. When I press it, the eject symbol fades in and out, but the drive doesn't eject or close when pressed.

Thanx for any help.

2. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

titaniumducky

Is anything stuck inside? Does it make any noise? Might be a broken drive. Or it might be a stuck drive. If it's a stuck drive, an open firmware eject may help you. Someone else will have to give you exact directions, though, as I'm not sure.

Basically, you reboot holding opt-o-f. Then you type in eject -f. I'm not sure if there is a mistake in this though.

3. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Or try (re)booting the Mac while pressing and holding the mouse button. This also forces the CD to eject (if there's one inserted)

4. stromie952 thread starter macrumors regular

There isn't anything stuck in the drive; I can eject it and close it normally if I use the eject button inside of iTunes (bottom right corner). It is just that the eject key on my apple keyboard doesn't do anything anymore except for pop up the eject bezel

5. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

Uhh.. no offence, but this to people happens at school a lot.

Hold down the key? I know you have to hold it for a few seconds.

Seriously, I'm not trying to be an ass. I know it's just a common thing that sometimes people don't think about. If it's a mechanical/ software problem.. I totally retract this comment.

/ducks in fear of misinterpritation

6. stromie952 thread starter macrumors regular

I know what you are saying, that is how laptop eject keys work on Apple machines. On desktops, they eject/close immediately.

7. stromie952 thread starter macrumors regular

Alrighty. For some reason it just started working again. Thanx for everyones input though. I didn't do anything it just fixed itself, so I am happy again.