Eject on an old iMac G3 keyboard?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by ickystay, Feb 23, 2007.

1. ickystay macrumors regular

I would love to use an old iMac keyboard with my eMac, but the darn thing has no eject key to open the drive door. I know from another thread that F12 will do it in OSX, but it does not in classic. I split 50/50 between X and classic.

The tray loading iMacs needed something to open the drives. Was or is there a keyboard trick? 3rd party control panel?

I have downloaded a couple of Apple manuals, but they (iMac Original and iMac 200) both show slot loading machines.

Any suggestions?

2. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

The tray loaders had a button on the tray. Super high tech, lol

But anyways, I think you should be able to keymap a shortcut for ejecting the drive.

3. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

i'm curious, what coudl you possibly be doing on Classic?!

4. SteveG4Cube macrumors 6502

Just drag whatever you're ejecting to the trash? That's how we got along back before OSX and keyboards with eject keys.

5. ickystay thread starter macrumors regular

A button on the front! That's great! I know my drive has a button. Unfortunately, the button is behind the door and the airport panel thingy.

There is a keyboard control panel to set function keys. When I press (lets say) F12 to set it up, I get a window to browse to an app or alias to open when I hit the key. I have no "open door/eject" app to browse to.

Steve, I need to open the door to even get something inside to drag out. If you see what I mean.

I was just coming back to add that I don't even need a key. Even something to click on the screen to open the door would be dandy.

ero87, I spend most of my time on the computer booting between OSX and OS 9.2.2. I love Photoshop 4.0. Play It Cool 3.35, iSakura, and Indexer 0.2.1 are a couple other classic apps I prefer not to do without. I love the classic windows. The amount of files I can see, the way they open where and how you used them last, and the way they collapse. In classic I feel hands on. In OSX I feel like a wizard waving my magic hand and watching stuff happen way over there.

I use OSX for the superior browsers and the many video apps and capabilities. I DON'T hate OSX (uh, anymore), but I do prefer the zippy OS 9.2.2.

6. SteveG4Cube macrumors 6502

What about Command-E? That might only work when a disk is present as well.

The 'Eject' application in the Eject Extras folder in the Apple Extras folder in the Applications (OS 9) folder should work. You could put an alias of the app anywhere.

7. ickystay thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I though I would post my rather unsophisticated solution.

When I want to open the drive, I open Toast, throw in any old thing nearby, and press the "Burn" button. The door opens, I quit toast, and go my happy way. To close the drive I just push on the tray a little and it slides closed.

I may end up drilling a little poke hole in line with the eject button on the internal drive. I sure like this compact iMac keyboard.

Thanks all!