Eject USB flash drive from menu bar. dock or shortcut?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Blue Velvet, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Moderator emeritus

I'm always using USB drives to move files to and fro from the corporate Windows network (IT teams: don't ask why :rolleyes:).

Anyway, I've always got Quark and CS3 files open and it's a right pain having to eject USB drives from the sidebar of an open Finder window... can I put something in the menu bar or dock that will eject Flash drives or is there an obscure keyboard shortcut I'm not aware of?

Thanks in advance.

2. Lau

Apple + E will eject it, but I'm not sure that's what you're after, because you have to select it on the desktop first, and I get the feeling you're looking for a all encompassing 'spew' command that'll eject anything that's connected.

I have definitely seen a menubar eject application in the post your menubar threads, but I'm not sure if it's for the optical drive only.

Um, sorry. That's not a very helpful post. :eek:

3. Administrator

annk

Staff Member

4. thread starter Moderator emeritus

Spew command; I like it. :D Apple E doesn't eject it unless it's selected which means trolling back to the desktop or a Finder window to select it... You can put an eject icon in the menubar but it only works on optical drives as far as I can tell.

I just want to eject my USB drives without interrupting my work. :(

Edit: Annk, you are a genius. The note at the bottom of that article is what I'm looking for. I'll try Ejector!

5. Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Heh, "Ejector" sounds like something a super hero would call out before performing one of the super hero acts. :p

I thought it sounded good, too - I'm gonna try it as well.

6. thread starter Moderator emeritus

Got it installed, it runs as an app. Gotta have it as a startup item on login if you want it always there. Clicking on it in the menu bar brings up a pull-down menu which gives you a choice of drives to unmount... perfect. Thank you. :)

7. macrumors 601

eXan

I mostly use CMD-E shortcut. It works even if you only have the flash drive window open.

The other way I eject such devices is by pressing the eject button in the Finder side bar.

8. Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I think BV wants to be able to eject without having to have selected the drive / drive icon first, or having to open a Finder window.

9. thread starter Moderator emeritus

That doesn't work if you've got your screen full of open Quark documents, Bridge and CS3 files open. I was looking for a one-step process rather than using Expose to get to a Finder window or the desktop, avoiding Finder all together.

10. Lau

I felt as though there should be some humour in the post as there was little useful information. ;) Glad you got it sorted.

11. macrumors newbie

Any new idea? (for 1-click USB drive eject)

Hi all,
    Has anyone found a tip to achieve this? That's sadly one of the few operations where Window$ ergonomics is (slighty) better: Why can't it be possible to get the extrenal drive icon to appear in the dock with a way to eject it either through a command in a menu or evenby drag-and-droping it in the trash.

12. macrumors newbie

Found solution

GO TO APP STORE AND GET APP CALLED 'unDOCK'

hope this helps :)

13. macrumors newbie

Free Solution, AppleScript + Spark

I have two scripts for you to do this:

1. Eject all
    2. Eject All Except CD/DVD

Edject All
    Code:
    tell application "Finder" to eject (every disk whose ejectable is true)
    Eject All Except CD/DVD
    Code:
    tell application "Finder" to eject (disks where free space is not 0)
    You can download Spark for free, which will allow you to assign a hot key or key combination to run AppleScripts. I have mine set to >COMMAND + E<, for example.
    http://spark.en.softonic.com/mac

14. macrumors newbie

I use unDock and it works great.

15. macrumors newbie

That's great, thanks! I just saved that as an application and called it "jjj eject". Now I launch spotlight, type "jjj" end press enter. It's quick and requires no always-running apps.