Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tumeg101

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Orange County, California
I was wondering if, having your iPod connected to your computer (with it still saying "Do Not Disconnect") and then you turn off your computer (properly, not just hitting the off button)
Does this have the same affect as unplugging it while it says do not disconnect??

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
I"d say not entirely the same effect, but still a negative one. When your computer shuts down, it usually closes running programs. By unplugging your iPod, you're essentially leaving iTunes running still (which means that things wouldn't have had a chance to finish up like they would have if the program was closed). I think that if this is an isolated incident, don't worry about it. However, get into the habit of properly disconnecting your iPod from now on.

colocolo

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2002
Santiago, Chile
I say its perfectly ok to shut down your computer before ejecting :)

Mac OS X, when properly shut down, unmounts all volumes and closes all programs (not force quitting them but properly quits them), so that should take care of the whole process of ejecting the iPod.

i have not done any research on the subject, but this is the way it probably happens.

colocolo

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2002
Santiago, Chile
Oh, sorry :eek:

Then I have no idea what would happen. It probably is still ok (Windows must close its processes and unmount volumes before shutting down I presume!), but don't take my word for it in this case :)

Just take the extra time and eject before shutting down

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
That's with Macs, :p sorry I forgot to mention this... *whisper* I am on a PC */whisper*

Eject first then. Don't take chances. Although nothing major will probably happen, but just to be on the safe side.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.