Eject Widget Idea

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by .Andy, Jul 25, 2005.

1. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I'm certainly no programmer :)o) but I was thinking that I'd really appreciate a dashboard widget that showed the mounted drives/ipods/volumes/etc and allowed them to be ejected. Just a really small one. I had a menubar one for a while which was cool but I think a widget would be even better. It would save a bit of time not having to go to the desktop with F11 and dragging them down to the trash etc. Would this be possible? I'm interested in getting into widget design but this is well beyond me at the present!

I've had a look round Apple downloads/Google but I haven't bee able to find this anywhere. If it exists I'd love to know :).

Thanks,
    .Andy

2. jiv3turkey748 macrumors 6502a

jiv3turkey748

isnt there enough ways already theres the eject key, the menu bar icon, you can drag the icon to the trash, you can eject from finder, and with usb overdrive you can eject with the click of a mouse button

3. .Andy thread starter macrumors 68030

.Andy

Yeah I know there's other ways I just thought it would be quicker and more elegant than a menubar hack/program now people are regulary summoning dashboard :).

Dashboard - F12 and then click on the large graphic of a drive to eject, and then F12 and you're back working.

Finder - Move mouse to dock, click to open a finder window, eject the mount, close the finder window and work on.

Trash - clear away the workspace windows (F11), find the right item, drag down the volume to the dock, and drop it on the trash/ejector icon.

Others - download programs($)/hacks that might break/not work properly with each new revision of OSX.

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Uh, it's not a hack :rolleyes:

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well I for one think it'd be a great idea. There are certainly less useful widgets out there.

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Did you see the comment there? "Is it posibble that in the next version de pixel takes te color from his neighbour pixel?? So I can use it to hide my real dead pixel"

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Nah I didn't. Thanks for that. :D

8. .Andy thread starter macrumors 68030

.Andy

Mad jew - I even downloaded that one for a while so yeah the old ejector might not be that great an idea....:D

Don't mean no disrespect a nermal :))) but I thought the Apple user interface guidelines for OSX prefer that programs do not add status items to the menubar - I got this from the user interface guidlines here

So isn't it a hack if you're changing the OS to work in a way Apple doesn't want you to? Although things might be different in Tiger I haven't read up.

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Me too. :eek:

You should have seen me trying to find it so I could delete it too. OPTION-clicking all over the place.

10. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Well the ejector is made by Apple so it's exempt from the rules ;)

You can find it at /System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/Eject.menu

11. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The OP may not have meant that one. I believe (although I could be wrong) that there is/was a third party one that listed all ejectable drives?

12. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The second post appears to refer to the pre-existing menu bar icon.

Not that it matters :rolleyes:

13. .Andy thread starter macrumors 68030

.Andy

Ah sorry Nermal crossed wires :D! The apple ejector only doesn't bring up all the mounted volumes though does it? i.e. an iPod doesn't comes up as an eject item. I had a program as robbieduncan suggested that showed all ejectable items. It was pretty cool but I was thinking a widget version would be even better.......quicker with less clicking and more menubar for those 12" 'book users.