Elaborate Spam from my university.

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by oldschool, Mar 2, 2004.

1. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

I got this email today, supposedly from my university. Attached was a file I couldn't open. I am sure it is spam as the grammar is not great, and it says its from Ubc.ca, which is not the organization that administers my university's email, but is the university's name.

This is the most elaborate piece of spam (prem :D) i've ever seen.

?Dear user of Ubc.ca,

Some of our clients complained about the spam (negative e-mail content)
    outgoing from your e-mail account. Probably, you have been infected by
    a proxy-relay trojan server. In order to keep your computer safe,
    follow the instructions.

Pay attention on attached file.

In order to read the attach you have to use the following password: 85855.

Sincerely,
    The Ubc.ca team http://www.ubc.ca
    ?

Who would go to these lengths?

2. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

Screw 'em!

If you're using a Mac, you're not likely to be infected by any virus.

3. oldschool thread starter macrumors 65816

oldschool

I know thats why i downloaded the attachment, but still, i've never seen such well thought out spam.

There should be spam awards.

4. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I'm starting to get spam disguised as "undeliverable mail" messages from "MAILER-DAEMON", sometimes with my mail server's domain address forged. From the SUBJECT and FROM fields, you can't easily tell them from real mail-server messages.

5. pooky macrumors 6502

This is a virus that's going around university campuses. Just don't open the files, you'll be fine.

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You don't get out much, do you?

7. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

8. Calliander macrumors member

Dead giveaway right there.

9. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Everyone seems to think that this virus is targeting them. At work today, I received a copy. The people over at Macintouch seem to think that it is specifically targeting .mac users. This virus seems to customize itself on the fly. However, it not specifically targeting anyone in particular.

10. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

harvard got the same late last night.

Many, many people were confused because it came from addresses like techsupport@harvard.edu or itdepartment@harvard.edu. When they are junk accounts, people are pretty aware; when they appear to be official - eeeek.

11. oldschool thread starter macrumors 65816

oldschool

How so?

I know its spam i said so in the title of the thread.

I just wanted to see if other people had received similar emails...seeng as it came from an official account. :rolleyes:

12. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

No, it is not SPAM, at least not in the usual sense. That email is an attempt to install a virus on your computer. You really don't get out much, do you?

13. Cervotragik macrumors newbie

Speaking of SPAM

I hate spam (both of them) they leave a sour taste in my mouth. And I wish I could seek out Spammers and get revenge yet why fight fire with fire. BUT i'm starting to wonder how many Gigs of Rules I'll have to create in my mail program to finally be at peace. Even though it's just text, could Rules take up a considerable ammount of room on my drive? Any other solutions aside from changing my e-mail address (Which is sent out to employers)? Can I send out a complaint to Hormel Foods? :)

14. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

No. As you say, they are basically just text, and a thousand rules wouldn't use a noticable amount of disk space compared to downloading music, videos, and software.

15. oldschool thread starter macrumors 65816

oldschool

Come on MisterMe, it may not be spam but you don't have to be mean about it.

And besides your logic is flawed...how can getting OUT more help me learn about email scams and viruses?

16. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

The IT guys at the med school are pretty good about blocking this stuff. My account hasn't been hit by a virus in some time. The notices sent out by them are often surprisingly entertaining too. During the last virus attack they said "Our system is performing like a well trained ninja."

17. m4rc macrumors 6502

Oldschool has a point! Maybe the people who don't 'get out much' are the people who know so much about spam and virus'.

And he is also right, he was just raising a point, no need to try and start a fight.

Marc