Election 04 thoughts

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Backtothemac, Nov 3, 2004.

1. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Jan 3, 2002
    San Destin Florida
    Here are some things that shocked me.

1: Bush won the popular vote by such a large margin. This is unreal. I thought he would loose this and win the electoral vote again. But, he killed the popular vote.

2: Networks. Again these idiots cannot make an real decision. Fox calls Ohio for Bush, but won't call Nevada. Cnn calls Nevada but not Ohio. Etc, Etc. They are part of the problem. I wanted to rip Tom's head off as I watched him interview Rudy at 2am.

3: Florida: I was shocked to see the margin of victory. Unreal.

4: Ohio and Kerry camps reaction. Look, it is mathmatically impossible for Kerry to win Ohio. For him to put the country through this again, is criminal. He should conceed for his country, but more importantly his party.
  2. bitfactory macrumors 6502

Jul 22, 2002
    my thoughts on why the DEMS got slaughtered... (i live in OH, btw)

1) Hollywood / Entertainment Industry.

Showing P-Diddy on TV with his transparent 'Vote or Die' campaign is NOT the way to reach middle-America... as a matter of fact, it probably energized the Republicans more. Hollywood also needs to shoulder some responsibility. You can't make fun of places like Ohio and West Virginia, then act like you know what's best for them. It's time for liberal Hollywood to look in the mirror and say, "Maybe I'm the as*hole." Yes, yes you are.

2) Michael Moore.

The DEMS were too closely aligned with MM. Big mistake. A lot of ppl think he is full of sh*t. This, too, probably energized the Republicans.

3) John Kerry.

Let's face it - this guy knows squat about middle-America. Showing up in Ohio to hunt geese (read: photo opp) probably LOST him votes. He's a FAKE. People have a hard time crossing that image with him windsurfing.

4) Teresa Heinz Kerry.

Every time she opened her mouth, Republicans smiled. Some DEMs made excuses that she was "outspoken." That's not the case, she's just crass. Proves yet again that money can't buy you class.
  3. makisushi macrumors 6502

Jul 15, 2004
    Northern VA
    I was shocked that the younger(18-29) vote wasn't bigger.
  4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Jul 16, 2002
    No greater turnout than 2000, which is a real surprise. The lack of a stronger youth vote probably made the difference in this election. It's a sad commentary on America when we can't seem to impress on young people the importance of exercising their franchise as citizens.

I'd also take this opportunity to caution the Republican gloaters. This was a very narrowly-fought election. Whenever an incumbent president comes this close to being turned out, it's time for that president and his party to consider what they are doing wrong, not for dancing on the graves of their opponents. We'll find out shortly whether they will exercise the arrogance of power, or whether they've got it in themselves to make conciliatory gestures towards the half of the country that doesn't approve of their agenda.

I have my own predictions, but time will tell.
  5. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004

It always amazes me that voter turnout is so low. Heck, we're talking in the 60% range. 60%! That means that 40% of the voting people in this country didn't even bother to make their opinions known.

How can that many people really not care who wins the election. Sure, that's typical (usually 50-60%), but disturbing.
  6. atszyman macrumors 68020

Sep 16, 2003
    The Dallas 'burbs
    Actually I don't find this surprising at all. How many of this group are in college yet? A lot or people go to out of state colleges so they are ineligible to vote at convenient polling sites. Unless you actually become a resident of that state you are now required to get, fill out and mail in an absentee ballot. I did that in 1996. It can be quite a pain.

Next how many of these people are recent graduates and/or still moving from place to place to find their ideal job/mate, etc. Four years ago I couldn't have told you where I was supposed to go to vote because I'd only been living in Dallas for a little over a year. (Un)luckily my girlfriend at the time (now my wife) had differing political views so we both decided to save the time since we were just going to cancel each other out. We cancelled each other this year but we did vote.

There needs to be some major election reform. Eliminate the College for one. Tie voter registration to tax returns. If you are 18 and filed a return last year you are eligible to vote. You are evidently giving money to the government therefore you should have a say in what the government does with the money. The IRS seems pretty good at keeping track of who pays taxes and who doesn't and who would want to try to create false registrations by paying twice in taxes?

With the EC gone you could vote wherever it happened to be convenient for you at the time rather than having to somehow get back to the state you are registered in.
  7. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Apr 10, 2003
    Essentially every single student at my college voted. Granted, Bush-hatred here is incredible. Lots of angry liberals...
  8. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

Jan 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I was too considering all the hype that was surrounding that group coming out in record numbers. But, then again, 18-25 is typically filled with angst<sp?> not action.

9. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

Jan 11, 2002
    Los Angeles

As the popular phrase on this forum goes, "you reap what you sow." I'm sure most members of this forum are adult enough to eat a tiny bit of "Bush won" considering all the "Bush hate" they dished out.

No matter who won I don't think candidate is much to gloat over, IMO. Although I'm sure this place would be partying like it's 1999 if Kerry won.

10. blackfox macrumors 65816

Feb 18, 2003
    Well, despite my dissapointment, I must say I was surprised by the Election results last night. Specifically:

1. Bush won the popular vote by a considerable margin. Although I had really considered him winning the Electoral vote, frankly I had not considered the possibility of him winning the popular vote. Amazing.

2. Democrats lost seats in the Senate/Daschle lost. Pretty poor showing for the Democrats, which although perhaps wishful thinking on my part, seemed unlikely coming into Election night. I was not so naive as to think that they would gain control of the house and Senate, but I thought they would at least hold their ground.

3. Gay-marriage Iniative. I am particularily dissapointed that my state of Oregon passed the initiative. Many of the other states where it passed are pretty conservative, yet Oregon went for Kerry and re-elected Democratic Senators. I am at a loss.

I have to conclude at this point that I must be out of touch with the American psyche at this point. It gives me pause. Last night was a real wake-up call to me. Frankly, I am rather despondent. On the upside, I managed to go home with an attrative woman from the bar last night, as I believe we both figured if we were going to be f***ed, it might as well be on our terms. So I am smiling this morning.

To those who supported Bush and/or the GOP, I extend my congratulations to you. Your opinion proved more popular than mine and I can appreciate that in a Democratic society. It is my sincere hope that Bush and the GOP use this mandate to unite the country and pursue a more moderate course in the next four years. Regardless, my hat is off.

I am rather surprised by the nature of the posts I find this morning and of the threads. I understand it is reactive, but I would've hoped many of us Liberals would've taken this loss more gracefully. I am, of course, unhappy with the results, but Bush and the GOP won fair and square, and I respect that. I hope that collectively we are able to come together and salvage something out of all this. Despite the result, the relatively high voter turnout impressed me and important lessons were learned. I do prefer this result to a contentious Election in the courts. And it got me some sweet ass, so I can't complain at the moment (call me selfish). I will look to 2008, but do my best to make the most of the next four years. Besides, at least there will be plenty of fodder to talk about within this forum for a while...
  11. Lyle macrumors 68000

Jun 11, 2003
    Madison, Alabama
    Well said. This wasn't a mandate for Bush, any more than it would have been for Kerry if the results were reversed. It's still just as polarized a country as it was yesterday and I sincerely hope that the President will make whatever, as you put it, conciliatory gestures are appropriate to help bring the country back together.
  12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Jul 16, 2002
    I've got absolutely no expectations. Bush took his 500 vote margin of victory in the 2000 election as a mandate to run the country far to the right of his campaign advertisement, so I fully expect him to yank the nation even further right over the next four years. He doesn't seem to have one iota of concern that fully half the country and virtually the entire balance of the world despises what he does.
  13. solvs macrumors 603

Jun 25, 2002
    LaLaLand, CA
    It's simple really. People are afraid after 9/11. They voted. They are pissed off at the perceived moral decay and think Bush will make us safer. Maybe they wanted to believe Saddam had WMDs and ties to Al Qaeda. Perhaps they believe the rhetoric about domestic issues, or don't care, or didn't think Kerry could actually do what he promised. Perhaps they listened to what Bush said about Kerry vs what Bush says.

Young people and minorities did not vote as much as people thought they would. Kerry could have capitalized on the bad job Bush has done so far, especially with the with us or against us attitude this adminstration is fostering. Sadly, people did not like him. Most people were just voting against Bush, and even that was not enough (but it was close, so Bush should take note... but he won't, and that's why we dislike him).

I am very disappointed because Bush is being rewarded for his misdeeds and misinformation, simply due to our own apathy and his opponents' shortcomings.
  14. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Feb 24, 2001
    I think the biggest problem was that the Dems vastly overestimated hatred of Bush. A lot of people on the left got the impression that since everyone they know hates Bush, obviously the entire country hates Bush.

Another problem was the flawed idea that increased voter turnout automatically favors the Democrats. I'm all for increased turnout, but it is a faulty assumption to say that all new registered voters are going to flock to the Democrat.

Part of their difficulty was the overall attitude of some liberals. People do not react well when they are told that if they vote for the Republicans they are ignorant, racist religious fanatics. If the left keeps up all this complaining I am seeing on the boards today, the Democrats will lose even more House seats in 2006 just like in 2002 and 2004.

The protests may have backfired. People do not want to relive the Vietnam War era and after Kerry's campaign and the Iraq protests, it appears that the left is determined to do just that.

Certain anti-Bush groups may have ended up helping Bush. Billionaires for Bush seemed clever until Kerry won the Democratic nomination. Instead of dissolving the group they persisted. Though they aren't affilliated with the DNC, groups like that have the effect of making the Democrats look like hypocrites.

I'm not sure if Michael Moore helped Kerry or not. Moore's quip on his website: "I didn't even know they had DVD players in Afghanistan" after Bin Laden's video probably didn't help matters.

The Dems seem to overstimate Hollywood everytime. Let's face it, when a voter sees one campaign with Rudy Giuliani stumping and another campaign with Ashton Kutcher explaining "I only play an idiot on TV and I'm voting for Kerry", they will lean towards Giuliani.
  15. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

Jan 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I think that sums it up nicely. Kerry was just not that good of a candidate. It could have been Bush vs a football and the football probably would have gotten double digits. Kerry failed to capitalize on all the Bush-hate. I think Kerry also made a big mistake by focusing so much on war. Polls always showed Bush in the lead in that respect but that's where Kerry kept pushing.

As much as it belongs in a movie Bush's kickin' ass & takin' names/lone ranger fighting the good fight stance is a crap load more reassuring than Kerry whenever he talked about it. Kerry sounded more like he was trying to convince himself he could do it rather than sounding like he was trying to convince America he could do it.

Douche bag. Terd sandwhich. '08 is only 4 years away.