Election November 5th, Are you Voting

Discussion in 'Community' started by wdlove, Nov 4, 2002.

1. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Interested in knowing how many Mac Forum members plan to vote tomorrow in this very important election? :)

2. monkeydo_jb macrumors 6502

Politics are not something I follow so I guess your answer would be...

Not me. I'm not registered in the city I recently moved to anyway. Shucks....

3. DomingoFuChavez macrumors newbie

4. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

same (only 15).... Don't care anyways. Politics annoy me. I am sure my views will change, but as of now, I can't stand all the bickering, and immoral actions that are caused my political arguments.

5. Kethoticus macrumors 6502

Kethoticus

Yup. Ima votin'. As I get older, I see more value in becoming more and more involved with the process. If we don't vote folks, someday some looney neo-nazi's gonna get in office and we're all gonna wonder how he got there.

6. zed macrumors 6502

yes, im voting.... as Kethoticus said, the older I get the more important it seems.

7. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

8. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Yes, I'll definitely be voting. It really is true, though... if you don't vote, someone out there is making decisions for you.

One person's vote doesn't seem like much, but when you add them together... well, you know. I encourage everyone that can to vote.

9. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I didn't get a registration form in time to trim any Bushes. :( Hopefully, our Governor will be some different next time and I can vote for a different President.

It'll be the first time I've ever voted in an election. If you don't think it counts, look at what happened in our lovely state of Floriduh.

10. King Cobra macrumors 603

>(Durandal7) I'm just glad that the ads will be over soon :rolleyes:

I couldn't agree with you any more. Emphasis on the eye roll.

In Maine around Windham there is a rotary, and it was literaly decorate with all this political crap: Vote for this guy, Vote for that guy...

And some of them make your ash look pretty. :eek: :rolleyes:

Luckily, coming back this weekend, the competition to see who can sh** on grass the most seems to have died down. I've never seen so much sh** on a stick on property before. :p

And, no. I'm not voting...too young and too unwilling to give a sh**. :D

11. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Hehe, yeah. They can be funny at times though....

12. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    as micheal moore said...payback time.

hopefully the 52% of voters who didn't vote for bush will send a message.

any guesses as to how many contests will end up in court?

13. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

I am unfortunate enough to live in one of the "key senate race" districts (Allard/Strickland race to be exact) and the ads are relentless. Strickland accuses Allard of trying to screw over the old folks and Allard accuses Strickland of being for big government. Pretty standard partisan fare actually :rolleyes:

All of the ones in Florida :p

14. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

sans the annoyance from "smear" ads all over about our current senator...I'm going to vote after I get out of work...

and no I'm not voting for the incumbent... ;)

15. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

hmm.... for what?

if people really wanted to "pay them back" whoever they is, then they'd stop listening to their corporate bologna and people like michael moore would stick to their guns (ie, nader) rather than jumping ship as soon as the worse of two evils wins. moore's got some good ideas, but he needs to focus his energy. not "gore and bush are the same corporate conglomorate" one day and then "people who voted for nader screwed gore" the next.... neither of those are direct quotes of course. ;)

as for voting. dang. i don't know enough about the candidates... 2000 i was much more informed cause my roommate at the time was a political nut at the time and given the scope of the presidential election it's easier to stay informed. but with joe governor and jane senator, it's tougher...

not to mention the fact that i don't know if i have to confirm my registration or something or if i just show up and it's all good... etc... blah

16. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I've never missed voting in an election. Today, the volunteers (almost always retired people from around the neighborhood) were so inefficient that there was a big line, while a volunteer who really wasn't capable of the job tried to look up names in the registration list.

I admire people who take the time to man (and woman) the polls, and I didn't mind the 5 extra minutes, but some people didn't wait. Maybe they will come back later, maybe not.

Maybe employers should be encouraged to give up one employee on each election day to help out at polling places. Office workers who are used to working efficiently might make voting a little easier.

The more convenient it is to vote, the more participation there will be.

17. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

of course i'm voting. i'm well-informed, too. i feel that's my responsibility.

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up
    being governed by your inferiors." –– Plato

18. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

I just returned from voting! Our Secretary of State, MA predicts 70% turnout of the 3.5 million registered voters. So far absentee ballots are 75,000 up 25% from 1998. Voting 1998, 57% of 3.3 million registered voter.

Alert voter fraud MA, at a local precinct our Democrat candidate is having volunteers taking non-English speaking, ?citizenship, & pulling the lever for the Democrat!!!!!

Unbalanced voting - More votes are lost with lever machines, Globe analyst finds.
    Election day 2000 3,610 of 188,213 Bostonian ballots were blank.

I earnestly pray for this election!

19. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Yes all the votes in florida will be in dispute. :D
    I cannot vote yet, darnit!
    Well lets hope for a N0N 1 party controled congress.
    Goverment doesn't work well when one party controls. :(

20. job macrumors 68040

job

21. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i am glad that at least some of the younger people care

clinton got into the white house with less than half the vote...42% percent to be exact

bush got into the white house with the smaller portion of the popular vote...even after absentee ballots were counted

too many people in the usa don't really care and that's why we often do not get a candidate that speaks for the majority...many republicans i know liked mccain in 2000 and i wonder what happened to them...same with bradley and the democrats

did these people not vote in the primaries because they thought it would be a wasted vote??

it's sad to see a 2/3 turnout is considered amazing:confused:

today, i voted green for gov of calif as a protest vote and gop for lt governor and democrat most of the rest of the way for the smaller stuff...i voted for clean water bill and bill to help the local community college...on the issues i did not know about, i left blank

most voters don't go straight ticket so it will be interesting to see how everything shapes up...my hope is that one party controls the house and the other controls the senate because i like the idea of check and balance more than i fear the concept of gridlock

there was tons of gridlock when reagan had the house and senate for two years and the same with clinton so i don't think a divided government is the cause of gridlock

the main issue is the economy for me, then terrorism since going after terrorism is not always well defined...the media still does not know what to call john mohammad and john malvo

22. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i just voted. feels kinda good. even though i knew very little about most of the people.

voted green where i could and pretty much dem the rest of the way.... lots of people who were both dem and republican for state supreme court and ****e.

word

23. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

That's the problem in MA, one party control, Democrat! Voters 30% Democrat. Independents majority! Problem voters vote a straight party vote. Once elected your in for life. Governor Swift only current Republican major office. State House has a small minority ~5 Senate & ~10House. Help Help Help!

24. dnte42 macrumors regular

Arg, I waited way too long (procrastination and forgetfulness) and didn't get an absentee ballot for college. Not to mention that I didn't have the time to do any research on the contestants. I really don't like making an uninformed vote. So, yeah...no good. Maybe next time around.

25. Quark macrumors regular

I voted. The court cases will all depend on how long the Democrats will want to keep whining about the truth and then accept that they lost - again, again, again and again.

I'm sure people won't be as duped by the democrats as they usually seem to be. I think the democrat's "scare" tactics can last only so long before people realize the truth.

It's kinda like those people that keep "predicting" the end of the earth each year - only to say later that they misplaced a decimal in their calculations - again, again, again and again.

Quark