"Election of gay bishop prompts walkout"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by patrick0brien, Aug 6, 2003.

1. macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

Article

-All I can say:

Flat-Earthers. I personally expected this, and I find that my expecation was fulfilled, a sad testament.

"A little revolution every now and then, is a good thing."

2. macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

3. macrumors 601

zimv20

that's so lame. i'm tired of the masses that live in fear. my advice for those who feel the need to protest in such a way is: "get over it."

4. macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Hang on there partner ;)

Remember, I am pro gay rights ok. This is a Church, that has rules according to the bible. Now, some of those believe that the Bible says that homosexuality is a sin. They are against it from that perspective, and believe that someone who is gay cannot preach the word of God, as they believe they are not being Godly.

So, it isn't something that they can just get over.

Not directed at you ok....

Why is it that when the majority doesn't understand the minority, they are called narrow minded, and not with the times. But if the minority doesn't understand the majority, they are called brave, and unique thinkers? Both treat each other the same way.

5. macrumors 601

zimv20

i get what you're saying. and i'm normally pretty tolerant, but i'm sick to death of what's done in the name of "god."

using one's religious beliefs to attack gays (and i'm looking at acts beyond today's walkout) is, to me, no better than the taliban's treatment of its women. i don't care which religion it is.

6. macrumors newbie

That would be the same Bible that said it was ok for Gods chosen people to invade other people's land and kill every man, woman, child and animal.

If they are going to quote the old testament when it suits, they should live their lives according to everything in the bible and not just pick and choose.

If they did that they would soon find themselves either in prison at the worst, or with empty churches at best.

7. macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I agree 100%, but remember, the Church is a private organization. It is not state funded.

See where I am going. Just playing devils advocate here.
    :D

8. macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Remember Pinto, Christians do not preach from the old testament. But the new. ;)

9. macrumors 601

zimv20

yes, but that's not part of my thought process. according to me, religious idiocy led to 9/11. other than scale, i don't see much difference between that and a christian mob killing a gay person.

10. macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Yea, but this isn't a Christian mob killing a gay person. Only wackos would ever do anything like that, and I would hope that they would meet a nice cold strecher in a prison somewhere for it.

This is a group of people walking out on a convention to protest the conformation of an openly gay bishop. Huge difference don't you think.

Remember, all they are doing is protesting.....;);););)

Just having fun my brother.

11. macrumors 601

zimv20

absolutely. and i support their right to do so, though i may think they're silly and hypocritical.

if the people involved in the walkout want me to believe that they truly believe in a religion that advocates tolerance, let's see a little put into practice. (and now i'll give a nod to all those who did _not_ walk out)

12. Ugg
    macrumors 68000

Ugg

Yes, but how much would people donate if those donations weren't tax free?

13. macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Any Christian religion that calls homosexuality a sin that would cause those who follow the faith to protest in such an asinine, obscene, compassionless way is not a Christian religion.

To say this is based on the Bible is horribly misguided and they need to read their Gospel a little closer and pay less attention to the millenia old Jewish law outlined in the letters.

FWIW, the Catholic Church would have no problem promoting a gay priest/bishop. For Catholics, if a gay man (or woman) can abstain from partaking in homosexual activity, the mere fact that they are openly gay is 100% a-okay in the eyes of the Church.

So it would follow that a priest, by nature celibate, would be fine admitting to his homosexuality. Of course, that would be no one's business but his own in the end.

14. macrumors 601

zimv20

edit! rephrase!

15. thread starter macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-zimv20

Haah! :D

That's funny as Sh**.

Oo. I'm so punny.

Seriously, I expected the Church to do something like this - even in todays times of preferred healthy debate, they went off IMHO half-cocked. I would have wished such a debate, before falling back to the same tried-and-failed system that jailed Galileo, persecuted puritans and generally cause all sorts of anguish.

One positive outcome however from that tried-and-failed method, is the emphasis of separation of Church and State as the U.S. has. For that, I am thankful.

16. macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Well, remember this isn't "The Church" aka the Roman Catholic Church that was behind such lovely things as the Inquisition and the Crusades, but one of the dozens of spinoff Protestant sects.

17. macrumors member

Or from anywhere that can support their bigoted views.;) :p

18. macrumors newbie

Is Homosexuality mentioned in the new testament? I can't remember, I tended to read the old testament in church (during the dead boring sermons). It was far more interesting from a non-theological standpoint. All blood & Guts!!

19. macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Plenty of Christians preach from the Old Testament. It's got a lot more material to abuse for anti-Christian agendas.

20. macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

But this is one result of faith that i've certainly seen - the inability to question anything that threatens your worldview. just get the blinders on and go forward in a straight line...

21. macrumors 68040

mactastic

Not state funded until we get a nice dose of Faith-Based-Inititives handed to us.

22. macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Yes, it is. It says that no man shall covet another man. That is it an abnormal action in the eyes of God.

FWIW, the Catholic Church WOULD have a problem promoting an openly gay priest. Would not happen. Sorry.

As for Christians and the old testamate. The New testament redefines man with God. The New testament replaces a lot of what was in the old testament.

23. macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Wait a second. Let me get this straight. You support anti-war peoples right to protest a government action, by going so far as to try to stop the supplies from reaching the troops, but you don't support a private organizations right to protest a conformation of a gay priest because they feel that it is against the law of the bible.

Come on my brother, look at what you are saying. It makes no logical sense at all. They did not hurt the guy, threaten the guy, or anything at all. They protested by walking out of a convention. What is so obsece, asinine, or compassionless about that?

24. macrumors 601

zimv20

sooooooo... two guys can have sex, as long as they don't want each other. :)

25. macrumors 601

Backtothemac

HA! That was a good one. THanks for easing the weight in this thread ;)