Election Results (Consolidated)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mactastic, Nov 2, 2004.

1. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Ok, so the first polls will close in just a few minutes (weird that some close at 4pm EST) but I thought I might try to start a thread where we can keep all the election-results-related discussion so we don't have to go looking across several threads.

Post away!

2. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

MSNBC (and others) are calling Georgia, Indiana, and Kentucky for Bush while calling Vermont for Kerry.

Electoral count: Bush 34, Kerry 3

3. Maclarny macrumors 6502

Maclarny

With 24 percent of precincts reporting in the Kentucky senate race, Democrat Mongiardo is up by 50,000 votes. This would be a huge pickup for the Democrats.

4. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Hooray for Kentucky, then. I hope it stands.

Boos for my state, Ohio. Not only did they re-elect Sen. George Voinovich (R), but the anti-gay marriage issue passed overwhelmingly. It not only outlaws gay marriage, but any civil union designed to approximate marriage.

Stupid, stupid, stupid. :mad:

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

New Jersey is called for Kerry, but on what basis I can't tell as no vote count has been posted yet.

6. pinks macrumors regular

Connecticut, Mass, DC, Illinois, Marland and DC called for Kerry.

Its beginning to get enjoyable now. What fun!

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

We should probably stick to discussing the swing states and the few states where the pollsters were suggesting a possible surprise outcome. New Jersey was one of the latter, but now it looks like it will go to Kerry. Next up is New Hampshire. With only a few percent of votes tallied (probably absentee mainly), Kerry is leading 59-40.

In very early returns, Kerry is up in Ohio, 56-43.

8. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Bush ahead in Florida 55% to 45% with 22% vote counted (no wisecracks).
    Not sure what that means at this stage...

9. pinks macrumors regular

Hey, come on! As a Brit staying up v. late to watch your election on TV I reserve the right to be interested in all state's results, whether swing or not! Its not as though we're being overwhelmed by posts!

Anyway, roll on Ohio and Florida.

On BBC we just saw pictures of Philadelphia polling stations with enormous ques at them - after the polls were officially due to close!

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Far be it for me to spoil your fun ( ;) ), but the outcomes in most of the states is not in doubt. One thing for certain, I've never seen so much interest in a US election from people outside the US.

11. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

Even though many of the states are foregone conclusions it doesn't hurt to mention them as being called for one candidate or another. Plus I'm very interested in hearing about the contested Senate and Congressional races as well as some of the ballot initiatives.

Last I checked, CNN had the electoral count at 87 for Bush and 77 for Kerry. I guess OK going red was no big surprise eh? :p

12. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

If you show up at the polling station before the closing time, they HAVE to let you vote, no matter how much longer it takes.

13. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

Nifty electoral map here.

Bush 102, Kerry 77. New York hasn't been called yet.

14. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I believe it is now Bush 108, Kerry 77...
    still, Florida,Ohio,Pennsylvania, Missouri, Arkansas and New Hampshire are all too close to call and represent nearly 90 electoral votes.

As I noted earlier, Florida seems to be going well for Bush, but many of the Democratic counties in the south (like Miami-dade) have yet to report. This is soooo interesting and nerve-wracking.

15. emw macrumors G4

emw

What is the most lopsided major contest? Here in Illinois, Democrat Barack Obama is running away with it - 88% of the Senate vote.

Oh, and Kerry seems to be handily carrying Illinois, which isn't a surprise.

16. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

It seems ABC has virtually called the election for Bush, saying that they expected him to arrive at the Ronald Reagan Building later, "possibly for a victory speech." They also practically gave him Ohio, though the voting is currently separated by about 5,000 votes with 4% counted.

Don't they ever learn?

17. mlw1235 macrumors 6502

18. brap macrumors 68000

Well, I've been watching the BBC for an hour or two, and all they seem to be saying is "Aah! we just don't know!!"

Sigh. The fact it's this even this close... beggars belief.

19. pinks macrumors regular

We're seeing Bush: 157, Kerry: 112 because of Maine's ability to employ proportional representation to split their college votes.

Splitting hairs, though, I suppose.

FOX, I believe, are now calling Michigan as "too close to call" - that would be a massive loss to the Democrats.

Edit: not pr in Maine, but divided along the line of congressional districts. Colorado's attempt at pr has been defeated

20. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Bush leading by 5% in Florida.

Same thing in Ohio, where 23% of the vote has been counted. Not looking good.

Electoral tally is now 192-112 for Bush.

21. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

Certainly not looking good. Bush looks like he will win. And now Missouri has been called for Bush. Not good.

22. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Well, in 2000 Bush won 271-267. And no states have yet gone against their year 2000 decisions. If everything goes as it did in 2000, except Kerry gets Ohio or Nevada, he will win. Keep up the hope!

It helps to compare the 2000 map to the current ones, to give a good idea of how things can go:
    http://www.usnews.com/usnews/news/election/map.htm

Lee Tom

23. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

24. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Thanks for a link to that map, LeeTom! I've been looking at a similar map that estimates what states will go where ... so far, it's been right on. They have a map from the 2000 election as well.

Maps: http://www.sfgate.com/election/electionmap.html

25. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

distinct posibility of a tie, it would seem. BBC says this would almost certainly lead to a Bush win