elections?! we don't need no stinkin' elections!!!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Jul 11, 2004.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

Jul 18, 2002
    i've been saying for two years now that, should it look like a close election, bush will find a way to delay or suspend them. i've cited a little known rule change to FEMA (in the wake of the west nile scare) that allows FEMA to more easily declare mass quarantine. now tom ridge is exploring ways move the election wrt terror...

2. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

Jul 23, 2002
    Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
    I beat you by five minutes on this one. :)

To be fair, I did give your prediction props. I just can't ****ing believe it's going to happen. It's kinda like the Iraq invasion: I saw it coming from six months out, and was in a state of continual disbelief and disgust as they plowed forward, knocked down all sensibility and due process and "just did it."

I think I might be fighting mad if they take my Nov. 2 voting ability away though.
  3. blackfox macrumors 65816

Feb 18, 2003
    OK Zim, I responded to this thread because I liked the title better (no offense 'brit)...
    While things like this do obviously raise an eyebrow, and I've long since gone past the point of hypercynicism with regards to GW and co., I refuse to believe that something like this would actually happen...

I mean it boggles the mind. If there actually was a terrorist attack, I might see the Election being postponed, which very realistically could sweep GW back into office, although there would be a lot of further vindicated and pissed-off anti-Bush voters who might go (eventually) to the polls and vote their mind. There could also be law-suits and SCOTUS rulings...Democrats could be considered terrorists for all I know...

If there was only a "threat" of an attack, however, I think that this would be a hard-sell to the US public and could very well cost GW either at the Voting booth or in terms of Litigation/Judicial response (as noted above). without a huge "tragedy" to make the populace blindly rally around the flag out of fear, it will just seem like a brazen manipulation of Democracy, which it is...

Still, if things do go down the way they might as implied, well we can always go down to Washington together and debate and argue them to death, plus we have Voltron...a secret weapon of unparalleled vision...
  4. professor macrumors newbie

Feb 4, 2003
    Berlin, Germany
    I'm just remembering how easily the American people swallowed all that trash about WMD, nuclear threats, the Saddam/Qaeda connection...
    To me this scenario seems entirly likely that another terrorist attack, or the mere threat of it, will be staged, and this born-again-"christian" wins again, this time with an overwhelming majority.