Electoral fraud in Malaysia and loss of democracy - Please help.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by caspersoong, May 6, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502a

We Malaysians have lost our democracy very long ago ...

On the 5th of May 2013, Malaysia held its General Elections, yet it was so unfair and corrupt that we can't help but feel that we have lost our democracy. We had a terrible election fraud.

197659_10201153462823491_1676564869_n.jpg

From http://www.france24.com/en/20130506-malaysia-internet-mobilization-against-election-fraud
    Also, there was a 10 minute blackout at many polling stations, and suddenly new boxes of votes for the Barisan Nasional (BN) party (ruling coalition) came out of nowhere.

https://mitsueki.wordpress.com/tag/the-magical-blackout-malaysia-ge-2013/

Please spread the news around the globe. We need international help to free ourselves from the shackles of tyranny. We need international awareness and help. Please help save our democracy.

A concerned Malaysian.

2. caspersoong, May 6, 2013
    Last edited: May 7, 2013

thread starter macrumors 6502a

http://www.malaysiakini.com/news/229367

This highlights the issues with our electoral system well.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-22424118

For those skeptical, BBC's unbiased but wary article also tells of electoral fraud. However, I guess you cannot offend the government of another country merely for the sake of journalistic ethics. They have been censored before.

http://www.sarawakreport.org/2012/04/bbc-signals-outrage-over-malaysian-censorship-of-bersih-3-0-coverage-exclusive/

250x370xc7c4bba706fcedcffb59e6e0aaf48ccd.gif.pagespeed.ic.MVwJ6x_st-.png

Even though the opposition won in terms of popular votes, they lost quite badly in the election with only 89 seats out of 222 compared to the ruling coalition's 134 seats. (most of the votes for the ruling coalition are phantom votes and bought votes, or votes of people from Bangladesh)

Evidence for the blackouts:

9385_10151512411662933_1374853367_n.jpg

(Pardon the English in the picture; we Malaysians typically have bad grammar.)

Please keep this thread alive by posting in it, possibly with messages of support for the Malaysians on this forum.

Long live democracy!

3. macrumors G4

Eraserhead

To be fair gerrymandering happens a lot in the US. Even in the UK where the election boundaries are drawn up by an independent organisation as the Labour voting areas have lower turnout than Conservative voting areas they have more seats than their vote share would suggest.

4. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes that's true. But I don't think such a huge majority for the ruling coalition should be possible when popular votes for the opposition exceeds that of the ruling coalition. And I think blacking out places to add extra votes and then force a re-count is really crossing the line.

945341_572456836119620_1811914915_n.jpg

5. macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Yeah that looks pretty dodgy.

6. macrumors 6502a

ohbrilliance

caspersoong, do you think this fraud changed the final result?
    All I know is my FB is awash with black profile pics. Every one of my Malaysian friends is protesting in this way.

7. caspersoong, May 7, 2013
    Last edited: May 7, 2013

thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think it is unlikely that the opposition would have won given the gerrymandering. However, I think that the opposition would still have won at least a hundred seats. Without the fraud, I think the opposition would have around 40 percent chance of winning.

Malaysians have petitioned to the United Nations on change.org and to the US government at whitehouse.gov (yes, I know they shouldn't have) and garnered more than 200,000 signatures on each petition. Do you think that we will get any international help?

P.S. Thanks to everyone for your concern and help! Please continue to spread news of these immoral actions. We need all the awareness we can get. Many of us don't want to be stuck with a government that does these actions for another 5 years!

8. thread starter macrumors 6502a

From Bloomberg:

9. macrumors 603

Tomorrow

What kind of help?

I'm not disagreeing with the possibility of a problem with fraud or the need for something to be done, I'm just wondering what does another country do to "help" with this?

10. Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Caspersoong: Thank you for taking the time to draw attention to this election and for posting so eloquently about it. I have been following the outcome - and reactions - in the international media with interest.

Were any of the international bodies which usually observe elections (such as The Carter Centre, which is very well regarded in the field, ODIHR - the election monitoring and human rights arm of the OSCE, and the EU, the last two of which are vastly experienced) present in the country as observers during the voter registration period, the election campaign and election itself, and if so, did any of them publish their findings?

11. macrumors 6502

12. macrumors demi-god

Hugh

I have no idea, so just hear me out.

Can a run off election help and somehow get the UN run the election so it would be less corruption. There would still ways for voter fraud to take place, but if the UN is running the show it might be harder.

Again I don't know about these things, just making a suggestion.

Hugh

13. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the question. The answer for that is no. But

On a related, but separate note, this New York Times article summarizes the situation well. The Malaysian government will not allow any findings contrary what benefits them.

http://rendezvous.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/05/09/in-malaysias-election-a-free-press-was-elusive/

Thank you once again for your interest!

----------

I think all Malaysians wish for that. But it is unlikely that anyone will help us as it might lead to souring relations with the ruling coalition.

----------

As international awareness of our predicament grows, the ruling coalition will be under more pressure to address these 'allegations'. I hope that you can spread the word to others so that the Malaysian government will need to give more seats to the opposition and reduce their fraud in the next election, at the very least.

14. macrumors 65816

ijohn.8.80

I'm glad this is actually getting attention around the world in mainstream media finally. I was appalled at how little was available after your first post when I went looking. Keep up the great work letting others know.

15. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you! I am glad that you care so much about the welfare of those in countries other than your own. I wish there were more people like you. I think that the Malaysian government is very smart as well. They set the timing of the election so that its aftermath would be overshadowed by the election in Pakistan, and the loss of internet connection in Syria.