Electric Razors

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by thedude110, Dec 9, 2006.

1. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

So. The woman's brother has asked for an electric razor for Christmas. Which means the woman has proceded to ask me which type of razor she should buy. To which I have no answer.

So, I turn to you, the fine folks of this Macintosh forum. I've used the lift and cut system

[​IMG]

and hated it because it pulled my hair out of my face instead of lifting and then cutting it (does wake you up, though).

Have used razors that looked like this

[​IMG]

but found they broke really easily.

Your experience and advice? I shave without electricity these days, but doesn't change the fact that I need to answer this question that I supposedly know something about.

2. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Hmm...is he switching from manual to electric for the first time?

Could it be that he just needs a new one and already knows which type he likes?

I use manual, and about half my electric using friends have one and the other half the other. The ones with softer skin tend to prefer the "microscreen" type. But I think it's more of a personal choice.

You might want to sit down with this young man and ask why he wants one. I can understand if he is already using electric and just needs a replacement, but if he's switching, maybe you can find out what he is looking for in the electric one.

3. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

I've used quite a few electrics...I have to use electric razors because I have a large scar running vertically down my neck from my chin to the base of my neck, and if I try to use regular razors it gets filleted. I've got a Panasonic one similar to the second style, I've had it for about 6 years and it works great, has never broken. I also didn't care for the lift and cut one. I'd recommend going with that style; as far as I know they don't necessarily tend to break, maybe you just had a bad one.

4. OwlsAndApples macrumors 6502a

OwlsAndApples

5. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

I have had a couple of lift and cut style and I can tell you, no matter how much I used them, my face never seemed to get used to it. I never got a very close shave. Plus, similar to what mrogers mentioned, from my chin down to the bottom of my neck....every time I would shave that, it would leave me red and irritated.

I have never tried one styled like the second one you have pictured, but I would probably go for that just based on the fact that I know type "A" doesn't work for me.

6. xJulianx macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

I've never been able to get a close shave out of any electric razor, I've always found manual shaving the way to go, even if it does take a little longer to do.

Having said that, at the moment I'm doing neither as I've decided to grow a beard. :D

7. Toreador93 macrumors regular

I've tried both of those types of electric razors, and have never had a satisfactory shave. Even if it gets relatively close enough, I get incredible razor burn, especially on my neck.

All I can say is: flip a coin, and hope for the best. Because either way, he won't be as satisfied as with a regular razor.

(PS. If you google "electric razor forum", you might find something useful) :)