electric scooters (your thoughts?)

Discussion in 'Community' started by FredAkbar, Aug 29, 2004.

1. FredAkbar macrumors 6502a

FredAkbar

Hi all,

I'd kind of like to buy an electric scooter. It would just be for basic commuting from my home to certain places. I'm only 16 and just have a basic job on Saturdays so I don't want to get a car or something and have all those added expenses that I couldn't even afford. I live in a pretty small town, so the farthest I would need to go at a time is 2 or 3 miles (one way). I don't want a gas scooter because they're noisy, smell bad, heavier, more complicated, you have to buy (and sometimes mix) your own gas, etc.

I went around town today and looked at a few electric scooters. One that I liked was the Quazar, which I might be able to get at the store for $199 (though price isn't really an issue, anything in the 200 to 400 range is cool), but my friend said I'd probably only get up to 10 miles an hour a lot of the time (its max is 15) so it wouldn't be that good. I found a couple online that look good: this one and this one.

So what do you guys think? Are you familiar with any of those models, or electric scooters in general? Are they really as useful as they look? The only things I really "need" in the scooter (meaning I wouldn't buy it if it didn't have them) are at least 15 to 20 mph, at least 6 to 8 miles on a full charge, and a comfortable seat.

Thanks for any input.

2. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

im pretty much in your situation and this is my setup: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/prod...2&type=5&dept=4125&path=0:4125:4178:4182:5302 i bought an electric scooter (some generic one from pep boys) and it was really slow and i only got 4-5 miles out of it. granted i'm really heavy so that probably affected it but still, ive had bad experiences with electric scooters

3. FredAkbar thread starter macrumors 6502a

FredAkbar

Yeah I have a bike, it works okay I guess, but it'd be cool to have something motorized, I'm not a big fan of the 20-minute bikeride to work and back every Saturday (in the morning I'm tired, and most of the ride is south, against the wind, and in the afternoon I'm tired from work and just wanting to get home).

I realized later that I should have included my weight in my post. I'm around 130 with clothes and shoes on. You mean you only got 4 or 5 miles per charge? Hmm...that could still work for me, it's almost 3 miles to my work (and to my friend's house, he lives in the same area), and I could probably charge it at either place, I've seen the chargers and am pleased with how small and simple they are. What electric scooter did you get? I know that some have a maximum weight of 200 lbs (others are better, like 250 lbs), so for a lot of people their weight would cause problems.

Thanks for your input though.

edit: I guess I should mention that I'm aware that the little $99 dollar electric scooters you can get are pretty crappy. How much was yours, homerjward?

4. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

My opinion? If you are going to be using it for places you'd normally walk to, don't do it. The walking is better for you. If you are going to use it for places you'd normally drive to, go for it! Better for the environment!

5. FredAkbar thread starter macrumors 6502a

FredAkbar

Yeah, I probably won't use it as a replacement for walking. I'll still walk places, like when I'm with friends, or to school which only takes like 10 or 15 minutes. But walking from home to work takes about 55 minutes (I've done it), which is way too long to be walking somewhere in my opinion. The bikeride is okay but like I said, it gets tiring, especially going against the wind in the morning. So I figure an electric scooter is a good solution.

6. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

yeah, im a little over 225. mine was about 99 i think. cant remember cause i gave it to goodwill a couple moths ago

7. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

55 minutes is way too long to walk to work! And if you are tired from riding your bike then how are you going to work ;)

I think it sounds like a good solution, too.

8. FredAkbar thread starter macrumors 6502a

FredAkbar

Yeah that'd explain it (the price, I mean). $99 will give you a pretty crappy scooter. They just had one or two at Big 5, they were $99 and I think they're made for little kids or something, the picture on the box had a little kid, and the top speed is like 10 mph which is ridiculous.

Some of the ones I linked to go up to 20 mph and have ranges of like over 10 miles so even if that's an exaggeration, they'd still probably be pretty good. I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with certain brands, as I'm totally new to the scooter field.

9. zim macrumors 65816

zim

electric, yes, well if they are quite. YES. gas, no!

There are two kids on my street with gas powered scooters.... they are soooo loud... grrr... makes me mad mad:

Alternative:
    kick scooters, or foot scooters, are best for the environment, you, and me (my ears). :)

10. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Forget the electric.

Go push.

I've got a 2.5 mile commute that takes me 20 minutes on my xootr, scooter. It flies....

Xootr Scooters.

On a side note, powered scooters and pocket-bikes are illegal on most public streets/sidewalks (not private). This isn't generally enforced as the police are not allowed to chase after people on them, but they can confiscate them. Around me, in Philly, the kids on them are idiots who go the wrong way down one way streets, or go out at night with no lighting. We just had our first fatality a couple of weeks ago. The driver wasn't charged....

11. goodwill macrumors regular

12. FredAkbar thread starter macrumors 6502a

FredAkbar

Well I don't think I'd get a push scooter because I already have a bike so if I were going to travel using human force, I'd just keep using the bike.

goodwill: vespas look nice, but just a little above my price range ;), if I wanted to spend that kind of money on a transportation device I'd just get a car.

I'll look into the laws around here (Eureka, CA) for powered scooters. If they're illegal, then forget it, I'll just get an iMac G5 :D

13. KingSleaze macrumors 6502

The laws (rules of the road) are the same for cars and bicycles. Powered scooters pretty much fall into the bicycle catagory, you can't 'legally' drive on the sidewalk. A helmet is required (in California) for riders under the age of 18.
    Stick with the bicycle that you already have. The exercise is good for you. An electric scooter may not pollute where you use it, but the electicity is being produced somewhere. Get the iMac G5.