Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
I know this is a computer forum, but i also know there to be lots of electrically geared people on here, so I have a question many might be able to help with.

I have two speakers that are 8 ohms, 150w RMS each.

I have one channel on an amplifier rated at 300w RMS @ 4 ohm.

Is it possible to wire these two speakers into this one channel so that both speakers "see" 150w and not the full 300w?

thanks! :D :eek:

elfin buddy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2001
Tuttlingen, Germany
I know this is a computer forum, but i also know there to be lots of electrically geared people on here, so I have a question many might be able to help with.

I have two speakers that are 8 ohms, 150w RMS each.

I have one channel on an amplifier rated at 300w RMS @ 4 ohm.

Is it possible to wire these two speakers into this one channel so that both speakers "see" 150w and not the full 300w?

thanks! :D :eek:

Wire the two speakers in parallel and your amp will "see" a 4 ohm load. Since they should each be able to dissipate 150W, you should be able to use your amp to pump out 300W without blowing them.

I'm not overly familiar with speaker technology, but I think you'll only get mono sound out of them.

Oh, and I'm not warranting that this will work. I assume no responsibility if you wreck your speakers.

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
the basic question is thus:

a single channel (mono +/- connections) outputs 300watts.

2 speakers (whose wiring config equals 4ohms) wired to the one channel.

do the speakers see the full 300 watts at each speaker, or half that, 150w?

does wiring a mono channel between two (or more) speakers take the channels output and divide by the number of speakers?

elfin buddy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2001
Tuttlingen, Germany
the basic question is thus:

a single channel (mono +/- connections) outputs 300watts.

2 speakers (whose wiring config equals 4ohms) wired to the one channel.

do the speakers see the full 300 watts at each speaker, or half that, 150w?

does wiring a mono channel between two (or more) speakers take the channels output and divide by the number of speakers?

If each of the speakers took 300W, then your amp would have to be outputting 600W, which it won't do.

If both speakers are identical, then the current coming out of the amp will be evenly split between both speakers in a parallel configuration. Since P = I^2 x R, at 300W and a 4 ohm load, I = 8.66A coming out from the amp at max power. That means each speaker branch takes I/2 = 4.33A. Power dissipated by a speaker is also P = I^2 x R. I = 4.33A, R = 8 ohm, so P = 150W for each speaker.

Hence, I think wiring them in parallel will make them work the way you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.