Electronics gurus, I need your help

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by joecool85, Nov 13, 2005.

1. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

I am building my own guitar pedal and need a DPDT pushbutton switch, anyone know where I can get one? RadioShack only has DPDT rockers and toggles and stuff, I really want a pushbutton. Thanks!

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

3. joecool85 thread starter macrumors 65816

joecool85

Wow, quick response. I checked their site and it seems all of their DPDT switches are showing pictures of SPDTs...

Anyone know of anywhere else I can get one of these babies? I found one on eBay, but I'd rather buy from a store if possible.

4. joecool85 thread starter macrumors 65816

joecool85

5. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/T053/1320.pdf

from Digikey.
    You probably want gold contacts for audio.

Also a company called Otto Controls makes great switches, but it might be more of a hassle.

Hope that helps

6. savar macrumors 68000

savar

http://www.digikey.com

Anything I can't buy locally, I generally buy it from DigiKey. Jameco is good, too.

Cool site, by the way...please let me know how the construction goes and how well the circuit works. I used to have a JCM-900 and I was often frustrated by the lack of a "clean" channel. Of course, I think the best way to use an amp like that is to keep the gain low all the time, but the volume turned way up. (Use a distortion pedal when its time to get noisy.) It's the best way to enjoy that signature Marshall sound. Of course, playing at that volume is obviously not convenient for most living situations. I would build the circuit myself but I sold that amp recently and I'm doing all my work now DI into GarageBand, so my amp doesn't get much use anyway.

Cheers

7. joecool85 thread starter macrumors 65816

joecool85

8. .:*Robot Boy*:. macrumors 6502

9. .:*Robot Boy*:. macrumors 6502

Ahh, I see you've found what you need. A helpful tip: when wiring the DPDT switch, the top two lugs are connected, the middle lugs are connected to the input jack and the output jack, and the bottom two lugs are connected to the effect input and effect output. It doesn't matter which side of the switch the inputs/outputs are wired to, as long as both of the inputs are on one side and both of the outputs are on the other.

It took me forever to figure that out :rolleyes:

10. joecool85 thread starter macrumors 65816

joecool85

Yeah, I had that part figured out. The schematic I'm using makes it easy. btw, does anyone have any schematics for an easy/intermediate overdrive/distortion pedal? Or any other pedal that might be intermediate or so?

11. joecool85 thread starter macrumors 65816

joecool85

Got it together today (minus the pushbutton switch, I just used a DPDT toggle as a temp thing) and it works really well! After I get the button in and get it all painted etc I will post pics, its a pretty snazzy unit.

Next project - "Fuzz Face" box.

12. joecool85 thread starter macrumors 65816

joecool85

Try to ignore how awful the quality of the photos are, but regardless, here are some pics of the final product.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]