Electronics insurance

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by question fear, Nov 16, 2006.

1. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Does anyone have individual item electronics insurance? I need to find coverage for my cell phone (cingular won't cover smartphones on their insurance), and I figure I might as well cover my computer, tivo etc as well. My car insurance company offers renters insurance but they said that only covers damage directly related to a break-in or damage to my apartment, so accidental damage or something occuring outside my apartment is no-go. I am leary of going with a random company; any suggestions on respected, affordable insurance policies?

2. insomniac321123 macrumors 6502

I am with state farm. I added my mbp as if it were a peice of artwork, whatever coverage that is. It is covered for $2500. It is covered against theft and any damage I don't cause. It was only $50 a year. So... Hope that helps.

3. question fear thread starter macrumors 68020

question fear

Thanks, but actually because my primary concern is my cell phone, I need accident insurance. :(

I've heard of "Safeware" insurance. Anyone use them? Are they decent? It looks like they just do electronics insurance...

4. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

Have heard of them, but haven't dealt with them directly. If you get any answers, please post, though.. my fiance and I are looking into getting our apartment covered (more specifically our office), because we have WAY too much money invested and just sitting here on a college campus to leave it uncovered..

5. sierra oscar macrumors 6502

When I bought my C2D Macbook last week - I also took out a specific IT insurance policy for it.

I know we are in different areas of the world - but I paid about AU$130.00 for accidental damage (if I drop it) , theft, fire etc for my portable (and it's case).

A link to the Australian company I used won't help you - but I'm sure there are similiar products in you area.

6. question fear thread starter macrumors 68020

question fear

Well I applied to safeware, I will keep this thread updated when I hear something further. They said barring complications I should receive a policy in 1-2 weeks.

The whole thing cost me 60.00 for 500.00 worth of coverage on my treo. i think it's worth it since replacing anything (especially the screen) would run me 100.00+.

7. sierra oscar macrumors 6502

I'm surprised actually - I got a cover note and was covered immediately before I paid for it - just faxed my receipts and sent a cheque in the mail. I don't understand why you have to wait to be covered - unless I've misunderstood the process?

8. question fear thread starter macrumors 68020

question fear

Well assuming personal insurance works similarly to life and health insurance, they'll retroactively cover you to when you purchased it but it takes a while to process. Also, it may be a day or two before I hear from them regarding the conditional coverage, since I did it online and didn't sign anything.

9. sierra oscar macrumors 6502

I didn't sign anything either - I guess insurance & laws in this area are just different from country to country. A cover-note does not need a signature and it's instant - sure there is a cooling off period for the policy - but it seems odd to me that the company needs 'time' to assess the risk. But I appreciate the differences in how some countries operate with things like this.