Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flat6

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2004
So, when I'm passing my backpack containing my PowerBook and iPod through the airport's X-ray machine, should I take them out, or will they be fine?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
They'll be fine. They will in all likelihood make you remove your PowerBook and run it through the machine in a basket by itself.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
If you let them know you have a laptop, hard drive, camera, or anything else you are worried about, they usually will use a smaller hand x-ray machine. Do not allow them to use a metal detector on it.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
from my experience, usually they ask you to take your electronics out and put it in a (provided) tray.

Just don't forget about it, and make sure it's labeled with something..a name, phone number, email address. I almost walked off without my laptop at SFO when I was in a hurry. Also once someone had the same exact iBook as me, and I could hardly tell the difference between mine and the other person's.

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
I once was carrying a computer back from a trip, took the hard drives out, put em in my carry on luggage. They scanned it, it zapped one of them. Drive wouldnt work afterwards, but luckily it had no important data on it.

I wouldnt trust any kind of x-ray machine with my electronics.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
They should be fine, I've put my laptops through xray machines all the time.

What'd be bad is if the Secret Police (aka "Homeland Security") opens up your bag and manhandles your laptop, that would be a goner.

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland
janey said:
... Also once someone had the same exact iBook as me, ...

What are the chances of that;) :D

I've brought my pb on a couple of flights and never had anyone mess with it. I also work in a place with airport type security and every day I bring in the laptop I get asked the same question - "Do you have a laptop in your bag?" - Why yes, the exact same one as yesterday!:confused: If I go to work by motorcycle, they just wave me through with no checks and no need for ID:confused: :confused:

But US security is madness - we have to take our shoes off just to enter the same area of the terminal that the US flights use.

(That reminds me - I'm going on holidays soon - must buy new socks)

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
generik said:
What'd be bad is if the Secret Police (aka "Homeland Security") opens up your bag and manhandles your laptop, that would be a goner.
This is a much bigger problem than the machines. Two years ago, TSA dropped a $3200 Latitude and blew out the display and broke the optical drive. Of course, it's passenger beware while traveling--they're not responsible for any damage to your belongings.

The computer was then useless, since I had no external display, and I had to lug the whole laptop bag around like deadweight for the entire trip. Now it's in a closet awaiting possible reincarnation as a DVR in a custom enclosure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.