Element Case ION 5 Released!

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by WJKramer, Jan 10, 2013.

1. WJKramer, Jan 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2013

macrumors 6502

Finally! Hands down best medium duty iPhone case for the 4/4S now for the iPhone 5. Released for CES 2013. Just placed my order.

[​IMG]

2. macrumors 6502a

sagar4995

3. macrumors member

Just saw the email on this.

What gets me is the carbon fiber. It looks to cover about half of the iPhone antennae on the top and bottom of the back side of the phone.

They had to stop supplying the CF with the S5. Maybe the TPU will still allow signal to reach the phone uninterrupted?!?!

4. thread starter macrumors 6502

I gotta think that it isn't a issue being they just released the ION 5 in this configuration after the S5 issue. But only one way to find out. I will post my review.

5. macrumors 65816

Dino F

Case looks cool for $49.95 however, to ship to the U.K. (where I live) its an additional $30 for Fed Ex plus the fact that we always seem to also incur Customs charges on top which bumps up the total price to nearer the $100 mark, which simply makes this case not worth the money.....:(:(

6. lsh
    macrumors regular

Please also comment on weight and size of access for connections (ie. will lightning cable to 30 pin fit? How open is the headphone jack?

7. macrumors 603

Menel

8. macrumors 6502a

theautopilot

Great looking case, I think I will get one if I can get it to the UK cheaply. Do element only deal direct?

9. macrumors 65816

Six8

Looks good but I don't like that much lip around the edge

10. macrumors 6502

I would cop that in a second but sadly I'm waiting for the TakTik Extreme.

----------

I like alot of lip around the edge... wait were talking about cases... Nevermind my bad :p

11. macrumors 68020

12. macrumors 6502

Nice. But waiting and hoping they release a Formula 4 for the iPhone 5. By far my favorite case.

http://www.elementcase.com/Formula-4-Black-w-Carbon-Back-p/api4-1310-kf00.htm

13. macrumors regular

14. macrumors newbie

15. macrumors 6502

Nope, straight up TPU and carbon fiber insert.

16. macrumors regular

Hmm. Tempting. Anybody want to speculate on whether or not this case will fit with the Bodyguardz Pure glass screen protector?

17. thread starter macrumors 6502

I initially liked the Formula series case but after time the two halves just didn't fit together well and it felt loose and creaky in my hand. I am no way rough with my iPhone and I never really took the case apart. Also, having the separation seam drove me nuts as well. I was much happier with the ION series.

----------

I gotta have the lip. Protect that chamfered edge!

As Bruce Dickinson said...."I gotta have more lip!"

----------

I have a SPG Anti-Glare on there now (forget the actual name). Most likely not as thick as your glass protector but I will comment on the fit.

----------

I will, here is a pic of the bottom in the meantime.

[​IMG]

18. macrumors 6502

The ion4 was my all time favorite case for ip4s...but they took away some of the best features for this ion5....the ion 4 had dimples around the outside edges which helped with grip and feel...it also had extra coverage below that involved the home button, which made it quick and easy to feel and find the home button...i also liked how the old one had the volume buttons exposed but recessed and covered...

Looks like they wanted this one to resemble their aluminum models too much...aint broke, dont fix it

19. macrumors regular

Hadn't noticed that until you pointed it out. What a total fail! Why on earth did they do that? I agree that made a great case an excellent case. Now, not sure how this will feel in the hand and if it will make the case to "slippy."

20. thread starter macrumors 6502

I dunno. I had the formula 4 with the same sides as this new ion 5 and grip was just fine. Don't think this is a issue as the TPU material is tacky enough for grip. I like the look of this design better. Almost looks like they combined the best from both series. We shall see.

21. macrumors newbie

Just got my Ion 5 case in.. few things I noticed right away is the front of the case near the volume buttons are very sensitive. I could push the top lip and accidentally lower the volume on my ringer/sound. The feeling of the case although is great. One other thing is the packaging is pretty neat, similar packaging just like the sector 5 and what not. Comes with a screen protector and wiping cloth as well. Going to upload some photos later and contact element case in regards of the volume button sensitivity issue.

Another thing I just noticed is you'll want to make sure your screen protector is centered well, if it's leaning to the left or right just slightly a little it will lift. Wished I had a glass protector to inform if it fits with.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. macrumors member

Nice iPhone case

Very nice looking case with a decent price point. How's the screen protection?

23. macrumors regular

Is it loose at all? I'm curious in this case and I never got to try the past versions. Looks nice!

24. macrumors newbie

There is a complete lip over the phone so this should offer decent drop protection.

As for fitment, it is pretty snug with the phone. There is some flex in the tpu but thats in order to slide the phone in without excessive force of course. I don't see it getting loose in the long run. I had the same case for the 4S and it was great.

25. macrumors regular

How is the grip on the case? Slippery or more of a matte/rubberized grip?