Elgato Eyehome help needed....Just recieved it...having problems

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by marknicholls, May 27, 2005.

1. marknicholls macrumors 6502

I have just recieved my eyehome and airport express adapter

When i get the the WDS setup i stumble, when i enable WDS no base stations appear in the drop down list (when my airport express should appear), and it finds nothing when i manually add the apple ID....

Why i need to setp WDS with only one base seems a bit odd??

The setup guide keeps talking about an extreme base station, but mine was bought with an express base....thats all i have

Anyone who has setup eyehpme with airport, please help

any help is great as i am stuck!

2. marknicholls thread starter macrumors 6502

Just got it working wired, but no internet access, so cant update the firmware

has to drag the TV into the study to make it work wired, needed to make sure there was no issue with the hardware....

now all i need to do is sort out my wireless problem (without an extreme base station, just 1 express)

Help!!

3. marknicholls thread starter macrumors 6502

My eyehome has been working fine for weeks, the only config i had to do on Airport Exrpess to make it work was to de-select "distribute IP address" once i did that, eyehome found my mac

It is annoying only having one Express station as when i wanted to go back on the net, i had to unplug the express, take it back over to where the modem is, and re-select "distribute IP address" to make the net work again

Anyway, i thought to save all this hassle, i would buy an extreme base, and i just cant get it all working together

Here is what i have done:

Plugged my stereo and printer into my airport express

Plugged my Eyehome and Modem into my Airport Exreeme

I have followed the online setup guide provided by eyehome and it just wont work, it says "unable to read/update selected base station:

The only thing i found odd on the setup guide is when i says:

"Quit airport admin utility and disconnect your airport express from your computer"

I found this odd as my airport isnt cmmected to my computer....and why would it be?

Please help. i have no idea what i am doing wrong

I am able to get both working individually with the following setup:

Modem and speakers plugged into Express

Eyehome plugged into Extreme (with distribute IP unselected)

and if i want to use eyehome, i have to manually change with network it connectes to, and back again to use the net

I just cant get the seup i require which is:

stereo and printer into my airport express

Eyehome and Modem into my Airport Exreeme

but as a WDS so i dont have to swtich networks

Please help!!

4. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

I'm sorry to be of no help again, but have you tried the Elgato Support? They are very quick at responding, and if you're going to ask anybody about Elgato products, might as well ask them.

irmongoose

5. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

i was thinking of getting one of them to replace my kiss 1500 as a media player ,

is the elgato any good ???

6. marknicholls thread starter macrumors 6502

Thought i would try hear first as they may be soneone with the same experience

7. marknicholls thread starter macrumors 6502

Its excellent. I was unsure about streaming video as i couldnt imagine the quality being that good, however, i cannot tell the difference between running a DVD on my DVD player, or running a film from my mac on my TV via eyehome

8. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

I have one as well, and it works perfectly, besides some minor networking problems and the fact that VIDEO_TS folders have to be made into one file for it to play without any breaks. The music and pictures are handy as well. All in all, it's a good buy.

By the way, if you go to the Elgato online store, you can get a refurbished model for only $129 + shipping. Good deal, and it looks like new.

irmongoose

9. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

I really need some help. Ive been messing with this for a week. I see at least 2 or 3 of us have this working. Can anyone tell me whose d*ck I have to suck to get this working.

My setup is:

1 | Airport Express connected to eyeHome in living room

2 | Cable Modem -> Linksys BEFW11S4 802.11b wireless router -> iMac G4 connected via Airport Card in office

Everything is upgraded to the newest versions, and is running tiger 10.4

The network works great. I can play songs thru Airtunes on the Airport Express - but the eyeHome just can't find anything. I type in the IP address manually 192.168.1.100 (pulled from Sys Pref - Networking) and all I get is "Wake On LAN Fail - Turn on Computer manually"

My iMac is running, eyeHome is sharing.. all is right with the world - 'cept the eyeHome can't find anything. I have read about 100 posts on http://forums.fourguysblog.com/index.php?showforum=3 and I can't find anyone who had an advice on this specific setup. There were comments both http://forums.fourguysblog.com/index.php?showforum=3 and in the PDF on the elgato site http://www.elgato.com/downloads/Airport_Installation_E.pdf re: WDS but when I go into Airport Admin Utility my Airport Express says nothing about WDS anywhere. (not completely true - under INTERNET -> CONNECT USING there is a grayed out option for "AirPort (WDS)" but connect via Wireless Network is the only option available to select and also the only option that makes sense.

It does work IF i connect it directly with a network cable, but I really want to do this wirelessly.

Any advice is truly appreciated. If anyone can help I will happily paypal ya some coin for a few beers on me, or better yet if anyone is in the Phoenic/Scottsdale area I will buy a case and we will both get drunk.

- Doc

10. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

The Eyehome needs its own IP address. Go to the setup using the Wrench button on the remote, click Network, and try using the Automatic setting. This is a little flaky so try manually typing in an IP address, say 192.168.1.101, something close to the iMac's IP but not the same. That got it working for me, although I am not on a wireless network.

irmongoose