Elgato EyeTV 250 PLUS. Can I use coax??

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by BaronvdB, Jan 31, 2008.

1. macrumors 6502

Oct 22, 2007
    Hey guys, i just purchased the new eyetv 250 plus with eyetv 3 software and I'm wondering if there is a way to hook this thing up to my 24" iMac with just a coax cable and not using a set top box at all. I guess i should have looked into this before I got it but it was an impulse buy and it looked like it could be done easily with the eyetv hybrid and since this is supposed to be "better" I figured it could do it also.

The room I have my iMac in does not have a cable box in it at the moment...it only has the cable feed coming out of the wall via coax cable...do I have to get a cable box in that room to be able to use this?

I used to just plug the coax into my tuner card on my old sony vaio desktop and that worked like a charm with windows media center, but now that i've switched to the iMac i'm not sure I can do the same thing with this product.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
  2. macrumors G3

May 25, 2004
    yes you can just use it to go straight to co-axel. In my dorm it works... the cable line is split for the tv and the other to the eyetv. Works fine for me
  3. jsw
    Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    Agreed. It works fine without a cable box - you just can't get the pay channels or the digital ones, although you can get Clear QAM ones if the company sends them down the line.