Elgato Unveils First HDTV Digital Video Recorder for the Mac

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Jun 28, 2004.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

Wow, but does this only work with over the air signals? Can you not connect it to a HDTV reciever box and allow you to record and watch on say, my 23" cinema? I couldn't find any info on this on their website.

3. macrumors G4

Oh hell yeah. This has been a long time coming. Sweet.

4. macrumors 65816

yamabushi

It would have been nice if they could have also included an analog receiver and input.

5. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Looks like it only supports the ATSC format. We tend to use DVB-S over here. But I don't have a digital receiver anyway so it doesn't really matter to me.

6. macrumors P6

wdlove

I hope that Elgato will be at MacWorld Boston. Would be nice to see in person. It's always better to speak with the staff in person.

7. macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Looks like no 5C support so OTA recording only. We could do that with Virtual DVHS and a Firewire STB before. Since data encryption has kicked in for most of us, it doesn't make much sense to go this route if you want to record Hi-Def...

8. macrumors member

Heh.. nice, but:

Well, it looks like if you want to actually WATCH HDTV with this, you'll still need a dual G5. So, apple still hasn't opened up the MPEG-2 hardware-decode API that DVD Player uses. Too bad. Any decent mac should still be able to record the stream, and they have allowed raw access to this transport stream to other software which looks nice.