Elgato's EyeTV 250 is very fuzzy

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Bubbasteve, May 28, 2006.

1. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

I recently purchased the eyeTV 250 after I heard many good reviews of it. For the most part I love my investment but I do have one major issue. On some stations the picture quality is very poor (as in staticy/fuzzy) while other stations come in great. I think it's important to note that my television shares the cable line via a splitter. Has anybody else experienced poor quality involving the eyeTV? and if so can you please tell me how you fixed the problem?

Thanks

2. Bubbasteve thread starter macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

3. Per Sonne macrumors newbie

Same here!

Same problem here. Love the feature set, just what I wanted. To bad the image quality is very poor compared to my tv set.

Elgatos support has been very responsive and helpful but so far no working solution. Yesterday I was asked to send the unit to germany for testing and possible repair/exchange. I really hope there was something wrong with it since I really want this thing!

I'll post a follow-up when I get the unit back.

4. Bubbasteve thread starter macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

Thanks for the reply! Please keep me and the readers informed

5. LastLine macrumors 65816

Hm, I've been looking at one of these for a bit, but my main reason is for hooking up either my PS2 or my X360 to it through the composite cable, has anyone tried this and if so how are the results? I'm very interested in one of these for my iMac just for this reason :)

6. Bubbasteve thread starter macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

I've heard nothing but good reviews of the EyeTV by Elgato... it's just unfortunate once I get it I receive less than stellar performance from it

7. LastLine macrumors 65816

Don't suppose you've got a console you could experiment with for me do you? :) I might lay out the cash for one if it's worth it.

8. Dopeyman macrumors 6502a

I have the EyeTV EZ, and I use it to play my PS2...

The picture isn't THAT GREAT compared to a regular tv, but it's pretty good..

9. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

I heard becuae the Elegato has to go through USB even though its not compressing the signal, there is a lag... which in gamming is unacceptalbe...

I'm going off to college and want to use my gCube on my 17 MBP but dont know how I'll be able tooo...

10. Temujin macrumors 6502a

Temujin

A splitter will result in a weaker signal. Try connecting your eyeTV directly and see if that helps.

11. LastLine macrumors 65816

Yeah because of the encoding. Apparently though the new model has the ability to switch the encoding off...sooo..... yeah :) I want to know how well that works ;)

12. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

I was talking about the new one. There was a thread else where also about this and customer said it is still lagging even though it isn't encoding or anyhting becuase it has to go through USB.

I'm hoping when the Express/34 card gets more popular they'll drop a version for that.

13. LastLine macrumors 65816

oh see this leaves me dubious, mind this one advertises itself for it so I'd be quite keen to see the opinion of someone on here :) Failing that it's a new screen for me I guess :(

14. radiantm3 macrumors 65816

radiantm3

I doubt it's the eyetv itself. Standard def television sucks in general. I've never used a PC tv tuner that actually looked good. It's not the tuners fault, it's SD. Basically you have to watch tv at half size for it to look as good as it does on a regular tv.

15. bartvl macrumors newbie

That's not completely true. Here in Belgium we have digital cable tv, I'm using it with my EyeTV 610 + a Dell 24" TFT (WideScreen) and the image looks great..even fullscreen it looks awesome.

16. Rickay726 macrumors 6502

Rickay726

definitly glad i didnt buy that thing, id rahter just have a regular tv in m room. and i still dont have one.

17. Per Sonne macrumors newbie

Got the unit back today. Finally. Elgato support claims to have tested it and found it to be in working order. I'm leaning towards that the analog tuner in the EyeTV 250 is substandard. I have mailed Elgato support again to see if there are any options left but I doubt it. I cant recommend the EyeTV 250 as a replacement for a tv, or as a PVR, if they can't solve these problems. The static and banding is not as noticeble when just using a stamp sized window but thats not what I got it for.

On a sidenote I can say that I got a extremely cheap USB receiver for Windows to use at work (It's the World Cup goddamit!). Cant remember the manufacturer at the moment but it was only EUR45! and reception was excellent, even when displaying the image over a whole wall with a projector, and thats using a tabletop antenna!

Thats how the EyeTV 250 should be, but its not.