eliminating icons on the upper tool bar

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by diez, Nov 20, 2002.

1. diez macrumors newbie

anyone know how to eliminate pesky aol instant messenger icons that sit staring at you by the time and date settings??

2. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

if you are in OSX and you mean in the menu bar (white thing at top of screen) then you, whilst holding the command/apple key, drag them onto your desktop and they will disappear in a puff of smoke.

3. diez thread starter macrumors newbie

4. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

i am afraid that i am not familiar with os9.1. I am not that real good with OS9.2.2 wither. All i can suggest is to try the same thing that i suggested for OSX in os9.1. Other than that you may have to uninstall AIM and use a 3rd party client.

Sorry

5. macstudent macrumors 6502

macstudent

in os 9 just go to your extensions icon in your system preferences. Next scroll down to startup extensions and uncheck the aol IM and yahoo IM extensions. This will eliminate them from starting up with your computer.

in os X just hold down the command key and drag the ichat bubble from the upper right portion of the menu bar and it will disappear when you drop it on the desktop.

I hope that helps.

6. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Look, OS 9 wasn't that bad that you would have to uninstall the whole software just to remove an icon from the menu bar... :rolleyes:

diez: time to get OS X!

irmongoose

7. diez thread starter macrumors newbie

went through with the extensions, unchecked them all restarted and it still appears. Aol must know I really hate them,

8. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

9. Phipple macrumors newbie

Open Sherlock and do a hard-drive search for AOL, then drag each icon in the list to the trash and empty it. Then restart and write AOL a nasty letter.