Elite Designers Against IKEA

Discussion in 'Community' started by iGav, Oct 12, 2004.

1. evoluzione macrumors 68020

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    intersting, but i happen to think some (note: some, not by any means all) of the stuff in ikea is fabulous, especially at the price. I'm not rich, i con't afford to waste money on the name of a designer.

i bought a solid wood step stool, which looks good, as far as step stools go, and it cost me $10, it came flat-packed, and my kitten absolutely loved the cardboard box, she played with that thing for months, best toy ever. i was chuffed at how cheap it was anyway, but the added bonus of the "toy box", well...

Ikea does make some good ****, but yeah, they make some dross to. same as anyone really, i can't think of one designer that i think is great across the board. even some of my favourites like mies.

2. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    hahahahahaha

imma send that to people who bought ikea stuff

3. medea macrumors 68030

medea

obviously this is actually funded by ikea. a good marketing idea if I've ever seen one.

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Is this for real?!?!

Below a picture of Van Den Puup....

Attached Files:

5. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

no... it's a viral campaign from IKEA... ;) :p

6. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

7. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

IKEA's the bomb. :)

You'd actually be surprised by how many name designers actually do their thang under the IKEA banner ;)

8. takao macrumors 68040

takao

which is pretty obvious from watching the videos/posters ;)

have only watched first 2 videos but they are pretty funny :p

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

How did you know that it was funded by Ikea before there was any proof? Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if there actually was a group who didn't like Ikea. Their stuff is bland, but perceived as exciting at the same time. Kinda hard to describe. But people sure buy it thinking the design is so great, so I guess that's all that matters.

And some of their stuff IS nice, and even when I don't think it's nice, I still used to buy some of their stuff because it's cheap as chips.

10. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

it's been doing the rounds for the last month, and is kind of an extension (atleast in the UK) to the campaigns they've been running all year.

thing is, I actually know designers with a similar attitude with regards to IKEA. they have an immeasurably elitist view of design and its importance and role within society. :rolleyes:

11. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

They have been cultivating a very different sort of image in the US. The ads are deadly serious.

http://www.ikea-usa.com/ms/en_US/popup/rethink_launch.avi

12. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Oh that's just friggin awesome...

[edit] the commercials are classic :D[/edit]
    D :eek:

13. MemphisSoulStew macrumors regular

Go to http://www.ikea.co.uk/ and see what pops up....

I saw it yesterday while I was looking for a new, inexpensive armchair. I've decided to go for the Lunna at £85.00...

14. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Amusing: IKEA takes a fun poke at design purists who think IKEA is all crap and no substance.

More Amusing: People who think this is anything other than some smart advertising for and by IKEA.

IKEA makes decent enough build-it-yourself furniture, but you have to re-tighten some screws once in a while, and relocate it at your own risk. I've had several IKEA pieces in my home over the years. My current workstation is IKEA (I think it is called Wicke?), and it fits well with my iMac G4, printers, and various other accoutrements.

15. takao macrumors 68040

takao

boy... never saw such a boring IKEA ad...
    here they are always somehow funny (like the already classic 'darling would you please take out the garbage' and he starts ripping everything apart-ad..or the one with the vw bug ...)

16. MemphisSoulStew macrumors regular

Wasn't it a (probably spoof) IKEA ad with the middle aged couple running around the house - him naked except for a pig mask, and her dressed up as a farmers wife. She had just cornered him - after much squealing - when their daughter walked in with her boyfriend. The punch line was "Time to move out..."

And there was another one with a little boy playing with cars and planes and a shiny chrome device that looked like a rocket, until he managed to switch it on and it started vibrating. I think this was advertising IKEA storage boxes.

17. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

You have a link to that - damn funny and a whole lot better than anything we get here in the US.

The whole Van Den Puup spoof would appeal to a large range of consumers here as well, I'd imagine. Don't know why IKEA thinks the US is so tight.... :confused:

D

18. MemphisSoulStew macrumors regular

Pig farmer here, and Tidy up here.

There are more IKEA ads on punchbaby

Enjoy...

19. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Prudes the the FCC are, the tidy up one wouldn't fly...and for the same reason the pigfarmer as well, now that I think of it. But damn funny - thanks!

D

20. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Because the videos were too well done for some schlumpf to have made in his spare time. That and the fact that they were blatantly pushing Ikea products.

21. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Could be that their Gay friendly ad was criticized by some a few years ago. And the ads recently that took a subway car and transformed it into a room went over the heads of many consumers.

I agree that this one might just lay well here in the states. Might rank up there with "Where's the beef?" ads from Wendy's.

22. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

commercials are so much better in Europe! that pig one is F-in great!

23. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

That last bit though, where the dad takes the picture to cover up....and its a glamor shot of the daughter?!?!?! Priceless :D

Quite nice attention to detail and going the little extra bit to make it even more over the top. You don't see that too often in commercials.

D

24. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Many of our best ones are only shown in cinemas as if the film has an age restriction you can assume no kids are watching ;)