Ellen gives a boy a Wii and Twilight Princess!

Discussion in 'Games' started by twistedlegato, Sep 24, 2006.

1. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

Ellen.....how kind of you:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uuzZpOHBXk

Ignore the commercial in the beginning about the Medicare or something, it will show up right after the commercial!

this boy got a wii, lucky, but he deserves it, even if he is blind.
    I was reading some of the comments on YouTube and some of the things were actualy cruel. I know he is blind and they gave him Twilight Princess, but it was a very kind thing of them to do for him. Even if he cant play the game it still can make him happy (he can still play games like Wii sports because of the simplicity, and he can train himself to listen for the pitch of the ball in Wii Baseball). I think Nintendo should put Wiis in all children's hospitals, and even normal ones too. that would really make Nintendo stand out! People would think good things of the company and buy their products.
    I hope the people of Macrumors wont be as mean to the kid as they were on Youtube:)

LUCKY KID!:)

2. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

I got nothing against Ellen, and to be honest I didn't even watch that whole clip but couldn't there be better things she could have bought him that he could actually use? Or better yet, why not donate some money to a charity instead?

I worked at a game store for many years and we had this one blind customer who was a regular. He was a nice guy but I fell sorry for him because he would get robbed a lot, or mistreated, and was on his own almost all the time. I would walk him to the bus stop sometimes just to make sure he was safe. And anyways, he loved game music and he would always ask me what the music was like in a game before he bought it. He liked RPG's most because he had an assistant and they would read the story to him. And he would move around the game, and somehow he actually would beat games and could describe parts of the game really well. It was mind blowing.

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Ellen used to be a bad girl when she played her sister Lara off against her boyfriend Abs, who's actual name is John. But then Ellen got cancer so everyone loved her, despite her having a very funny looking jaw. I've always liked Casualty, good show.

4. iVersa macrumors 6502

Because Nintendo paid her 10x more than a Wii is worth to give it to him on national TV ;)

5. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

Nintendo Wii's would be great in children's hospitals however they require a little more physical interaction than most systems. I bet they'd be great for the virtual console alone though. This kid is lucky and deserves it though, Go Ellen!

6. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I question whether there was an actual Wii in the box, or just a voucher for one/promise to send one.

7. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Until Ellen gets me a Wii(That don't even sound right) then I don't care. I'm sure it was a Free Wii ticket.

Bless

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

9. theman5725 macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure it would be a voucher since the actual Wii won't be released for 2 more months.

10. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

I don't get it; he's blind, and she gave him twilight princess... :confused:

surely there could have been something better to give him? some games I could see him playing, but zelda?

11. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

You're kidding, right?

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

No, nobody has said who Ellen is so I'm going off the only Ellen I know - her off Casualty.

13. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Fair enough :)

It's Ellen DeGeneres.

14. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Jimmi where have you been for the last 10 years?

Ellen was one of the biggest American sitcoms of the time, up their with Seinfeld.

One episode of the show she 'came out' and it was one of the biggest moments in TV history.

------

back on subject.

giving a blind child a Wii ? That's a joke right :eek: How is that even remotley useful. Bizzare and a cheap publicity stunt.

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Never heard of her, now Seinfield, Frasier and Roseanne I have heard of.

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

17. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

haha, never seen it! but I've been meaning to.

18. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

:eek: :eek: :eek: er what else can I add but :eek: :eek: :eek:

You were too young to remember the sitcom I guess - 10 or so years ago; (it would have been past your bedtime) so we'll forgive that, but not seeing Finding Nemo.....

Repent... Repent..... Damnation awaits you in the bowels of hell... Repent your sins :D :D :D :p

19. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

Somebody that missed the Ellen coming out story?? :-s

Even if he's too young to remember the show originally, it gets repeated on satellite/cable channels all the time.

What have you been doing?? Stop throwing your life away boy! Go watch TV! Now!! ;-)

Then again, if he remembers Seinfeld, Roseanne and Frasier, there's no excuse!! :-D

20. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

I'm in that there same boat. I've been reading this whole thread going 'Who the fu*k is Alice?... I mean, er, Ellen'

I aint even heard of the show, not just not remembering it, or seing it first time round, I aint even heard of it. And I feel better for that! :) Just shows the quality of American TV if she 'came out' one episode and it was the biggest thing on American TV... Well Whoop Dee Doo!

Edit, anyway, a Wii? Get a grip of yourself, I'd be offended... Imagine loosing your penis is a horrible smelting accident and to make you feel better Noel Edmonds turns up at the hospital with a hooker... Gee, thanks Noel!

21. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

V.True :D

Do you remember the episode, they showed a making of the episode before it was broadcast as a build up. It was one of the most memorable things on TV ever for me...

It wasnt just a 'character' coming out which would be an interesting story, but it was Ellens real coming out to the public, she was a massive star at this time so it was really mind blowing.

It was a great affirmation of her and the strengths and courage some people face, because I'm sure she knew it could have extrememly backfired and destroyed her career forever.

It's a shame her chat show doesnt get broadcast here, I'll always like and admire her :)

Your totally missing the point. This was a time when most stars hid their sexuality, hell 99% of them still do because of the hostility and negativity they are subjected to do.

Ellen's coming out was a 'massive' event not just in America, but through out the world. Here you have a AAA TV star affirming her sexuality, added to that the show was written amazingly and not handled in a cheesy way at all. It was pure brilliance.

As a move towards gay rights and acceptance it was a monumental occasion and has firmly put Ellen TV Show in that legendary status. It will be written about and analysed throughout media studies case/course books for many many years to come.

Whilst a gay character on TV is fairly common-place these days (more so in the UK than America which is still more prejudice) and nothing worth even raising an eyebrow at, it was thanks to shows like Ellen that this came about.

22. jdechko macrumors 68040

Well, Ellen had no use for the Wii, so why not give it to someone else. ;)

Anyway, that's pretty cool.

23. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

It's maybe because I couldn't care about anything less in the whole world than someone elses sexuallity, let alone if there on the tele or not...

24. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I think all of you saying that it was a dumb idea to give a blind kid a Wii didn't watch the clip close enough. He was playing video games in this one shot, and he said he wanted to be a game designer (along with some other stuff) when Ellen asked him what he wanted to be. I think the Wii was an excellent gift for him.