Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

concertina54

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2004
Hi everyone,

I've just ordered an emac online and as a wait for my order to come through I'm contemplating adding bluetooth to the order.

I have a couple of questions since this will be my first mac. First is there an alternative to bluetooth that I can get? My main reason for getting it will be to connect two things. First my Palm, will blue tooth work for this and secondly my Altimaster Neptune. The second device is for skydiving, it's an altimeter/log that records statistics of my jumps and it has an infared port on it to beam the stats to a computer.

Do you know if bluetooth will be good for this? And if it will work for my palm and Neptune?

thanks.

mikeyredk

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2003
if you add bluetooth i recommend adding the wireless mouse package. its $99 for bluetooth adaptor, BT mouse, BT keyboard.

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
Bluetooth will only work if the devices specificaly say they do. It will not work for the infra-red thing, that will need a special USB adapter. Check online for that.

concertina54

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2004
So what are infrared options for the computer. And whats the difference between infrared and bluetooth?

mikeyredk

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2003
infrared is line of sight. Bluetooth is like wifi but personal you can run many things with bluetooth, such as; phones, mice, pdas, etc... the only requirement is that both devices have bluetooth. I would recommend you getting bluetooth anyway since it is built-in you can only have it bto or have a separate dongle. but, i recommend have it built-in

concertina54

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2004
for the neptune the instructions say.

You must use a computer with an IrDA interface.

Is this bluetooth?

mikeyredk

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2003
infrared.jpg

see that red line coming out that is is the irda port. You won't find that on most modern day computers you might want to consider an upgrade if you can.

ChrisFromCanada

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2004
Hamilton, Ontario (CANADA)
infrared is an old technology and bluetooth is much newer. Almost every computer manufacturer has given up on infrared and gone for bluetooth mainly due to the line of sight problem.
For example who would want a mouse that will only work when pointed at a infrared receiver?

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Dec 3, 2003
Quite simply, if I was given the option of whether I wanted internal Bluetooth in my eMac when I ordered it, I would have taken it.

I don't need it now but whenever I'm in the market for a new keyboard or mouse I would have most definitely have gotten the wireless Apple mouse or keyboard.

Finally, I may add on Bluetooth later on, but man, I'm not so hot about a huge dongle hanging out the side of my computer. :(

concertina54

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2004
Okay so it looks like my neptune only supports infra red, as the unit is really small, and there was not enough room to put bluetooth in it.

Does anyone have suggestions on what infra red products I can buy and make work with my new mac?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.