eMac and DVD

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jadam, Jun 7, 2002.

1. jadam macrumors 6502a

jadam

could i use a firewire DVD drive with an eMac to watch DVD movies?

2. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

I think so, if its a firewire DVD drive then you should be able to do it.

3. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

You SHOULD be able to, provided the video card they used in it has the DVD decorder built into it. I know all ATI cards have that, but not all nVidia cards do.

It would probably be cheaper to just get a decent dvd player for a tv then to try and connect one to the eMac. Considering how much the ones that go onto tv sets have dropped in price lately.

4. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

Considering that the eMac uses the same graphics card as the iMac G4, it's pretty certain that you'll be able to watch DVD's with it. I don't know that the apple dvd player is compatible with external drives, but there are other media players out there that would do the job.

5. swahilibill macrumors 6502

Whats goin on here

The original eMac for the education had a combo drive, now it just has a CDR drive. Probably cause Apple dosen't want it competing with the new iMac. Plus, I would never get a eMac, it looks like a frosted nipple, the G4 iMac is cool with me!

6. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Hehe... frosted nipple... that's a new one! :D

To me there would be very little benefit of buying *just* an external DVD-ROM drive just so you can watch DVDs on an eMac! It's like, either buy an external DVD-RW or just get a dang DVD player for your TV.

...or wait and see what they have in store for the eMac in the future. I have a feeling they'll be adding in that combo drive someday (like the iBooks). Only this time it won't be engineering in the way of progress, just bullheadedness on the part of Apple for deciding to release the eMac to the public in the first place! I've still got mixed feelings about that.

Oh... and "one more thing".... 1000th POST BABY! :D :D :D

7. jadam thread starter macrumors 6502a

jadam

ohh well, ill just get a mid ranged imac after macworld... i live in NY, hehe want to go check it out...