eMac and music production

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by davejevons, Apr 16, 2004.

1. davejevons macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm looking at the new emacs and considering buying one to replace my dead PC for general email/internet stuff but also some music recording/production. It's only a hobby so nothing serious but I was a little concerned that the emac doesn't have a lineout to connect amplified speakers to.

If I get something like the M-Audio USB interface then I guess I can use the line out from that to power something like the Harmon-Kardon Sound Sticks?

The apple site implies that the Soundsticks II will run off the headphone socket, has anyone done this? I'm a little suspicious of what it will sound like using the headphone socket.

Does anyone have any recommendations for speakers to use with the emac?

many thanks

dave

2. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

it has headphone out which should suffice.

it also has a line in which is a bonus on a budget machine.

if the audio is anything like the 12" powerbook i used recently then you don't really need external audio cards unless you need more than one in and out. the latency should be fine
    as core audio/OSX really shines compared with windows XP (i use a dell inspiron at the moment and the audio is totally useless....it's a work machine, they made me choose it! :))

3. bunkre macrumors member

but then, USB audio I/O's have gotten really affordable, and you'll really see the difference with something with a decent pre-amp if you're gunna be using mics on anything. if you plan on recording line level stuff though, you can get by on the built-in.

4. jazzmfk macrumors member

Jersey. Route 78, exit 24. Gotta problem with th
    Hey. I use a first-generation eMac at the front of my music fundamentals/AP Music Theory classroom. We do a lot of listening in both, so I just brought in an old stereo I had lying around at home, ran the headphone jack to the aux in (thank you, Radio Shack), and mounted the speakers above the whiteboard. When we *need* to listen to something loudly (you know, stravinsky, schoenberg, holst, mahler, late beethoven, whatever....) you just let the stereo do the work (i.e. set the sound out at about the 60% mark and crank the stereo). We've never had a distortion problem. We have had the teacher next door interrupt The Rite of Spring, however.

And for the person who complained about how loud the eMac is - well, I guess he's forgotten what a bank of flourescent lights can do to your ambient noise level.... When I'm seated at the machine, I can hear the fan, but the racket from the ceiling is way, way louder.

Sound Soap can help, too, if you record anything live. Pretty killer program for less than a hundred bucks, IMHO.

MFK

5. bunkre macrumors member

it would really be nice if they could just put a freggin' direct out on any computer with a sound card. it cant be that difficult, and i think enough mac users are audio/computer savvy enough to use it...

but then again if a simple complaint on a message board could make a difference, we woulda had these damn G5 PBs by now :)

6. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

:)

yeah it's the line in that i miss on things like the ibook (i'd have one by now rather than having the perpetual wait for slightly better pb 12s)

yeah eventually you're gonna want a firewire external audio interface but things are changing fast in this area and it kinda pays off to wait for the dust to settle a little

(it doesn't help that i want a four in four out for use with www.mspinky.com)