eMac and Neverwinter

Discussion in 'Games' started by DaYC-Ent, Feb 7, 2004.

1. DaYC-Ent macrumors newbie

I'm making the switch very soon. as much as i want an iMac, i'm thinking maybe the eMac will have to suffice for a while. i don't have much spare time for gaming, but i find that i'll spare an hour or so if i meet a specific goal so i can do a little gaming. and right now, Neverwinter Nights is my flavor of the month. how well, if it does, does NWN run on an eMac? would it be worth it, or should i just go with PBJ sandwiches for a month and get the iMac??
    thanks

2. mattmack macrumors 6502a

mattmack

Re: eMac and Neverwinter

Personally I would wait for an imac since the emacs have only a 32 mb video card. Which is the minimum for neverwinter nights.
    Then again I would buy a power mac if and when speed bumps come then you would be assured better performance and can always upgrade the video card when the next latest and greatest card comes out.
    All in all eat PB+J with ramen for dinner and buy a tower if you can at all afford it. If not stick with the PB+J and get an imac
    (Bear in mind I think the CRT monitor is much better for gaming than the LCD)

3. DaYC-Ent thread starter macrumors newbie

so would a dual G4 be acceptable? i'm still trying to break out of the pc world, so i don't know how the apple hardware translates. i'm looking for less than $2k. i'm not worried about being on the cutting edge. upgrade is a bonus, but not really THAT important.
    the size of the e- and iMac is a big bonus, but a g4 tower would still save space compared to the waste of space i have now.
    neverwinter is about as hardcore as i'm gonna get for quite some time. most of my time is on the road and away from home. so i don't play games often, but i want to be able to 'do what i have to do' the way the Apple does it, if you know what i mean. not the assanine way a pc thinks it has to do it.
    email, games, surfing, documents, pictures, done. NWN is as fancy as i get right now.
    i'm doing some pricing on single G4, Super iMac, eMac, and it's probably coming out of tax returns next month.

again, thanks for any help!

4. jadam macrumors 6502a

jadam

5. mattmack macrumors 6502a

mattmack

I would go with the G5 as opposed to the G4. you don't really need a dual unless you are going to do a lot of processor intensive stuff simultaneously or programs that are specifically designed for dual processors. A G5 would let you take advantage of newer programs that will be G5 aware as opposed to getting a G4 which is as good as you are going to get right now and won't be getting any better.
    But if like you said in your original post just do some gaming and the size and the price of the imac are appealing it would be totally acceptable for your needs for some time to come.
    I have my mom on a clamshell ibook and while she can't play newer games she can do everything else allbeit slower. I couldn't work with an imac just becuase I like the ability to change my monitor and upgrade my cards and add internal stuff.
    I have my daughter on a strawberry imac and both are on os X and run fine for what they need
    If desktop space is a premium and the performance is acceptable to play your favourite game (which it is) an imac sounds right to me

6. DaYC-Ent thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah, i've been drooling over that G5 since i got introduced to mac's. but even a bare-bones G5 is more than i can afford for the moment. whatever it comes out to be, it'll only be about a year and a half, 2 years tops before i do a SERIOUS upgrade.
    so i just need something to play NWN on and do basic life functions. :p

7. elensil macrumors regular

NWN on Dual 867 G4 PowerMac

Neverwinter runs OK. Sometimes slows down a bit . I have 32Mb video, 768Mb RAM. I run it on 1280x1078 on everything turned on. My PowerMac is about one year old and it might be faster then a new eMac. Plus it is expandable. Monitor would be a problem, I had bought my Formac 1740 for $499.

Good luck

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

For the same price as an iMac ($1299), you can get a 1.25 GHz Power Mac G4. It doesn't come with a display, but is better than the iMac in virtually every other way. I've got one and it's excellent :)

9. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

10. DaYC-Ent thread starter macrumors newbie

budget is whatever it takes to get what i need. iMac is small, comes with a display, and is pretty much cut and dry. G4 needs a display, is just as big as what i've got, but can handle the game better. so which is it? a more expensive system for a smooth game, or a cheaper system with dropped graphics on a game? i'm used to playing without all the snazzy stuff, but it would be nice to actually see all this cool stuff the reviews talk about... :(
    decisions, decisions... so far nothing has been cheaper than $2000. the hardest part i think is that i might have to shrink in displays. i've got a 19" monitor right now, so maybe i'll keep that oven and just get a G4... decisions. decisions.