emac can't fit airport card in?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by cyberdiamond, Jan 7, 2004.

1. cyberdiamond macrumors newbie

I have a 800Mhz emac and have undone the two screws behind the cd draw.

I am trying to fit an airport card in (not extreme) but it seems the card is too wide to fit in the slot.

Is there a 'trick' to this :confused:

tia

2. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

The two different airport cards fit in different size slots. The current emacs only take airport extreme cards. I'm not sure what sort of card you machine takes...

3. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Well, looks like there were two different 800 MHz eMacs. One uses the old AirPort card, and the other uses the newer AirPort Extreme. Are you sure you don't have the newer model?

4. cyberdiamond thread starter macrumors newbie

I admit I know bugger all about macs (just the basics)
    Its a white machine with a 40G hard drive.
    How do I know if its the earlier or later (its only about 6months old if that)

The only other machine I could put it in is the i-mac DV but it looks like it needs an adapter or something.

Btw I only need to install it to upgrade the firmware to 128 bit on the card.

5. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

If it's only 6 months old, then it definately is an AirPort Extreme eMac. You cannot install your AirPort card into it.

6. marvbloke macrumors newbie

marvbloke

...but you should be able to use your Airport Card in your other iMac DV machine. You'll need the AirPort Card Adaptor ($19.99 from the Apple Store). This is designed for slot-loading G3 iMacs to use AirPort cards.

7. cyberdiamond thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't really want to buy an adaptor to put in the i-mac DV for 5mins work then not use it again.

Thanks for all of your help at least now I know.