eMac dead on arrival - repair or replace?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by EXV, May 20, 2004.

1. EXV macrumors newbie

My eMac arrived a few days ago (purchased from the Apple Internet site) but was not opened until this evening. I powered it on for the first time and saw the Apple logo, but just as the logo appeared, I lightly bumped the desk and the eMac lost power. I was unable to power it back on.

I took the eMac to my local Apple Store a few minutes before they closed. They spent a few minutes with it and tried to reset it, but were unable to power it on. They offered to repair the new eMac (1-5 days) or I could contact Apple and arrange for it to be replaced.

Considering the fact that it lost power only after bumping the desk, I thought the problem might be something as minor as a loose cable. I don't mind the Apple store making the repair, but perhaps I should simply have it replaced.

Any opinions?

Thank you!

2. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

3. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

Another reason to open something the minute you buy it (or take it home). Replace that sucker.

4. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

replace it, no question. I have gotten DOAs before, and I have always been able to replace them in-store. See if your local store will just make the switch - they definitely should.

5. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Yes, I would say have it replaced as well. If a slight bump will cause it to die, who knows what else is wrong. Does Apple ever offer discounts for stuff such as this, or do they just take them back, refurbish them and sell them at a discount?