eMac disassembly info.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by adcx64, May 8, 2011.

1. macrumors 65816

adcx64

Hey guys,
    Tomorrow I will be upgrading my eMac to a DVD drive instead of a cd drive, just so I can install leopard. The drive will be removed after the install, as it was in my other computer.
    My questions:
    1. What safety precautions should it take with the CRT? I know that CRTs emit radiation, so if the case is open, will I get exposed to it? Also, I know about the high voltages and had it unplugged for 12 hours.

2. If I were to buy an external USB dvd drive, would the emac be able to boot off it natively?

Thank You! :apple:

2. macrumors P6

Intell

Modern CRTs do not emit noticeable amounts of radiation. The CRT and computer part are separated on the inside. Just don't mess with the CRT half and you'll be fine. CRTs can hold a deadly charge for years after being unplugged. Because eMacs are PPC Macs, they cannot boot from a USB drive without lots of help.

3. macrumors 6502a

Yeah, it's pretty easy to avoid the CRT components in an eMac. Even if you did touch them all I don't think you'd find a place that would zap you unless you were really fiddling with one of the circuit boards!

And as said before, it won't boot off of USB.

4. thread starter macrumors 65816

adcx64

Thanks for all the help guys, I've decided that I will use target disk mode and my iBook g4 combo drive to do the trick!