eMac - Do you think apple not like having to make these.

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Mitch1984, Oct 5, 2005.

1. Mitch1984 macrumors 6502

Mitch1984

I really think they'd like to get rid of this, I think the only reason they brought it out was because schools were worried about kids damaging the screens on the iMacs.

Post comments here

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Emac isnt the wave of the future thats for certain. ;)

3. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Do you think me not like having to read posts with bad grammar.

;)

4. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

If they make money off them then Apple is pleased as punch to keep producing them.

5. ohcrap macrumors 6502a

Me agree. Me hungry. Me go eat now. Grrrr.. :rolleyes:

6. Mitch1984 thread starter macrumors 6502

Mitch1984

I'm aware.

But I didn't want to write an essay for a thread title.

7. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

i don't like the eMac, its so big plasticy and fake looking...feh. I don't think apple really enjoys associating it with the awesomeness that is design marvels like the iMac, but they don't dislike the product, they are into this to make money, not to have fun.

8. tutubibi macrumors 6502a

tutubibi

eMac is something like SUV in Mac lineup.
    Big, durable, samewhat practical, not too expensive for a size, hopefully obsolete. But Apple will make them as long as they make money.

9. steelfist macrumors 6502a

it should be time to start using LCDs in those machines. that's the only reason why i didn't buy one. however, apple might be killing the mac minis or vice versa if they do that. so that might be why they have two products that have diffrent strengths EG: emacs have radeon 9600, mac mini CAN have a LCD, etc.

10. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

eMacs are pretty pointless with the Mac Mini updates. A Mac Mini + CRT screen costs less than an eMac! It would also be quieter.

11. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

eMacs will be canceled or majorly revamped in the near future I think. Quite frankly they are behind their time, and I'm sure Apple knows this. Give them a chance. Odds are they will be updated or removed from the lineup when the Intel switch happens.

12. Norouzi macrumors 6502

eMac's were originally only available to schools. Why? Well would you feel comfortable putting your iMac, iBook or Powerbook in a room of 30 first or second graders with only one teacher to supervise their use of it? I think not.
    An LCD display is not for children. Hence the eMac, glass screen very durable. I think the only reason Apple released them to the general public was they needed a low cost machine to compete. Now with the Mac Mini out I think they should take the eMac back to education only.

13. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

Actually, I could see that happening if they didn't do what I posted above.

14. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

As long as Apple are able to carry on flogging shedloads of the things to schools, I don't think they're going to lose any sleep over having them in their product lineup.

15. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

16. person s macrumors newbie

person s

Are LCDs better?
    They are expensive, and not such great screens anyway - especially in terms of resolution.
    I like their smaller profile etc, but my eMac suits me fine.

p/s

17. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

After having a lcd i have to admit they are easier to look at for longer periods of time, also they use less energy which is a good thing. Crt is still a great value but its tech from the 60s just like the Shuttle. We can do better and are. I love my 19" LCD from NEC/Mitsubishi and after using it i wouldnt want to go back but you are correct about resolution.

18. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

the eMac CRT screen is beautiful.... much better than any LCD. Long live the eMac. :D :D

I hope they do update it again soon...... built in Airport/Bluetooth like the rest of the Macs. 512MB on the base model and probably a bump to 1.5Ghz G4's.

19. mkaake macrumors 65816

well they currently out-spec the mac mini...

anyway, it's a great machine, and I generally find those that bash them the most haven't owned one. they're solid, they actually do look quite nice, and did I mention that they're solid?

Actually, I'm recommending one to my mother (who has failing vision), because I know that if she needs to bump up the resolution, she can do that w/o making it look ugly, ala LCD. not to mention, the emac is still cheaper than getting the mini with a good 17" crt, kb, and mouse... but so it goes. not to mention the faster drives, larger drives, more powerful video, more expandable ram, etc.

It may not have the same finesse as the rest of the apple line, but that doesn't mean it's ugly, and that doesn't mean it's obsolete. too many people putting form over function here...

20. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

Well, it wouldn't go away without something similar replacing it. Or it could just get revamped. I just don't see it staying the way it is much longer.

Trust me, I am all about function before form.

21. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

An eMac will beat said Mac mini performance wise quite considerably. Mainly due to the faster HDD, better video card and you can get one with an 8x DL DVD burner (yeah means nothing in terms of performance but it's a nice feature). The size of the HDD is also more useful at 160GB than the mini's 80GB.

22. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

I'm glad the imac nazis don't run apple.

It was only 5 years ago when I bought my top of the range G4 500 and a 21in studio monitor. I was pretty happy with it for the work I do with Photoshop, Illy and quark.

I can't afford a top of the range machine at the moment and I need to run a business. So I'm pretty happy with my new G4 1.42 Ghz eMac with 4 times the speed of the G4500 video card.

We just got a second one recently and I've rammed it up to 1.5gig. Soon to be 2 gig.

Is there anyone on these boards who use an LCD for serious professional photo retouching?

I think the iMacs are a joke. The only other option I'd consider is a dual G5 with a La Cie LCD Monitor.

23. Fender macrumors regular

Fender

I saw an eMac the other day at the Apple Store here in Toronto, and I thought they looked cheap. Especially since it was pretty close to an iMac G5.

However, I still think there is room in the line-up for the eMac. I personally wouldn't ever buy one, but if I were running a school comp lab I wouldn't mind them.

24. aquajet macrumors 68020

Actually the first CRT was invented in 1897 and the first shuttle Columbia flew in 1981.

Check out the color on a new PowerBook screen. It sucks pretty bad...there's still a place for CRTs.