eMac - Does the 160GB drive have 2MB or 8MB buffer?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by EXV, Apr 30, 2004.

1. EXV macrumors newbie

Today I checked out the latest eMac at my local Apple Store where the 80GB model was on display. The hard drive (model 6Y080L0) is the Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 - 7200 RPM with a 2MB cache / buffer.

Does anyone know if the eMac 160GB model has the 2MB or 8MB cache / buffer?

Model 6Y160L0 = 180GB 7200RPM 2MB Cache / Buffer
    Model 6Y160P0 = 180GB 7200RPM 8MB Cache / Buffer

Thanks!

2. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

I just got mine today... 160 GB & all... Though it shows 142 available after the 10 software updates that needed to be downloaded, does that sound right ?... Anyways, how do I check about the buffer for you ?... Any other questions I'd be happy to answer if I can , or provide you a review ... I just got all of my software installed & I'm ready to open it all up & see if I can make this baby scream...lol.. I can't find any 8 X DVD's yet, I'll guess I'll just use my 2 x till I can...

3. Miner Willy macrumors regular

Extra info please.

Hi there, glad to hear that you got your eMac so quickly. I'm not so bothered if the drive has 2 or 8mb of cache as I plan to run mine (if/when i buy it) of an external drive. I would like to know what you think about it's overall performance as I'm concerned about the graphics card.

A review would be nice please ;)

4. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

The overall performance is nice... I haven't photoshopped anything , or done any video stuff yet, but I will soon..

It's not as loud as I had heard, but it is louder than my iMac, though not annoyingly so... I have crancked up the speakers & haven't seen any of the distorted screen issues others have w/ their eMacs... The keyboard is diffrerent... It seems to be a little smaller, but much "tighter"- big improvement imho...

I got mine w/ an AE card since we have the base station in the living room & my office is in the basement.. Internet connection works flawlessly.. It was indeed "plug it in & play" as advertised...

Overall it seems to be a better computer , performance wise, than either my iMac or my iBook.. Which is to be expected, obviously... I'm happy with it- especially when you consider I'm burning DVD's at a nice rate of speed, with a quality finished product, for under a grand ... I'm glad I got it !!!

Oh, & it wasn't supposed to be here until Mon. May 3rd but it came on Fri. April 30th.. Noone was home, but the Fedex driver left it at the door... I was a little surprised by that, but it wasn't raining & he did actually hide it behind a garden so noone could see it from the road but I couldn't miss it when I walked in the door...

5. dbauer macrumors member

Question

Can you go to www.cinebench.com and run cinebench 2003 on your new emac for us? It tests the video card pretty well. Also, you can find the model number for the hard drive in System Profile under the Hardware --> ATA section. Thx.

6. g30ffr3y macrumors 6502a

g30ffr3y

dont feel bad jemeinc... the 250gig drive i bought for my powermac actually showed up as 232.76... empty... i knew that the 250gig number was not what i was going to get... but i didnt realize i would be taking an 17 gig hit...

what a pisser...

all in all... id say 142 after panther... and the updates is pretty good...

7. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

8. dbauer macrumors member

Sure... Be glad to... I downloaded cinebench & am not really sure what to do next... Which scores are you looking for specifically ?... Also, refresh my memory how to get to system profiler... That's not system preferences right ?... Sorry for being a dope, lol...[/QUOTE]

To get to system profiler, click on the Apple logo in the upper left corner of the desktop, then click "About this Mac". The window that pops up will have 2 buttons on it, click the button called "More info..."

I'm pretty interested to see all of the Cinebench scores (CPU rendering, C4D shading, OpenGL SW-L, OpenGL HW-L). I'd like to compare them to the results from my old 1GHz eMac. I want to see just how much faster the graphics benchmarks are. Here is an example from my G4-433:

CINEBENCH 2003 v1

Tester : David Bauer

Processor : G4-433
    MHz : 433
    Number of CPUs : 1
    Operating System : 10.2.8

Graphics Card : Rage 128 Pro
    Resolution : 1024x768
    Color Depth : millions

Rendering (Single CPU): 42 CB-CPU
    Rendering (Multiple CPU): --- CB-CPU

Shading (CINEMA 4D) : 49 CB-GFX
    Shading (OpenGL Software Lighting) : 32 CB-GFX
    Shading (OpenGL Hardware Lighting) : 19 CB-GFX

OpenGL Speedup: 0.65

9. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

Model # st3160023a- sound right ?

Results:
    Renderinging single cpu: 114 CB-CPU
    Shading (Cinema 4D): 138 CB-GFX
    Shading (OpenGL software Lighting):339CB-GFX
    Shading (OPEN GL Hardware ligthing):433 CB-GFX

Open GL Speedup: 3.13 X

OK, now what the heck does all of that mean ?...lol...

10. EXV thread starter macrumors newbie

st3160023a = Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 Plus

Model Number:ST3160023A
    Capacity:160 GB
    Speed:7200 rpm
    Cache: 8MB
    Seek time:8.5 ms avg
    Interface:Ultra ATA/100

Thanks for the information!

11. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

i find it odd that they are allowed to sell hard drives labeled as 250g when it comes out to be far less, i know it's because of the bits vs. bytes or whatever (they count by 1000, when it's really 1024 or something like that) but i barely know anything about it, and the average consumer knows far less.

it should be false advertisement to not state the capacity of the drive once formatted.

12. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

As much as it sucks, it's not false advertising.

There really are 250,000,000,000 bytes on that drive, but when you translate it into gigabytes, it becomes 232.83 Gb. It's the whole binary 1 kb = 1,024 bytes thing.

Companies only care about making their product look bigger/better than the next.

If someone was selling a 250Gb drive and also a 232GB drive, which would you buy?

13. Kirk macrumors regular

Kirk

So how will the difference in real world performance be between the 80 GB (2MB cache) and the 160 GB HD(8 MB cache)? Will you notice a difference in apps like GarageBand? I have ordered an eMac with the 80 GB HD and I just wonder if I should change my order before it’s too late . . . :(

14. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

Dude, I don't even know what those #'s mean, performance wise... lol... I would like to get a lamens report though from someone who understands those benchmarks...