eMac + Extended Desktop Questions.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by neoelectronaut, Aug 4, 2004.

1. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Alrighty, let's see here...

I know about the iBook/eMac/iMac hack that was created to use the system's video out port to enable extended desktop, rather than just video mirroring.

I'd like to do this, but I'd rather not buy a 2nd monitor if I don't have to.

Rather, I'd like to use an old 13" TV I have in my closet that isn't being used for anything. (I actually have 2--one is so old it has knobs...and one for UHF. O_O) I know that a adapter is available for S-Video and Composite video, so I figger I could get that, and a RF conversion box. (If possible, one only for video, since I won't need audio)

I know that TV isn't optimal for stuff that requires high detail, but I was just going to use it to put my marine aquarium on, maybe play some old SNES games, and watch DVD movies.

So, well, would this work?

2. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

I just had a thought.

I have an old NES/SNES RF adapter lying around, similar to this.

The plug on the NES/SNES end looks very similar to a composite cable. I wonder if I'd be able to use this and completely bypass the need for a RF converter box. Hmm.

3. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

TV's are such low-res that I doubt a hack exists for that. Look for a used computer shop so you can get a CRT cheap.

4. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Why wouldn't the hack that works for the VGA adapter work for the Composite out Adapter? They're like exactly the same, aren't they?

5. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I think the limiting factor would be the lowest resolution possible by the card.

6. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

That's fine. I won't be doing Photoshop work on the TV or anything.

7. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

I'm not looking for optimal picture quality---the question is: Will it work?