eMac Flaw!!!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Griffindor73, Jun 29, 2002.

1. Griffindor73 macrumors member

As a teacher of 10 year old kids I can't help thinking that the eMac, although rather lovely, has one major flaw- the speakers. Since this was designed to work in schools I can't help wondering why Apple didn't put any kind of cover over them. I just know that within about 3 days of owning one the kids in my school will have poked them to death and suck pencils in them etc. We have an indigo iMac at school (just one, sadly- and yes, it was my influence!) which was buggered up by a child putting a floppy in the CD-RW drive (I feel he had been brainwashed by M$!)- So why wrap it in a child-prof case and then have exposed speakers on the front- odd?

2. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

Hey

Apple ship the eMac with speaker covers, they just choose not to put them on in the adverts because the machine looks cooler without them ;)

Ensign

3. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

Here is without the cover:

Attached Files:

4. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

and with the covers:

Attached Files:

5. Griffindor73 thread starter macrumors member

Ahh! My faith has been restored!!! I knew that Apple wouldn't have let a simple flaw like that go! They ought to show that in the education pages of the website as it is the sort of thing that teachers pick up on and could actually stop schools from perchasing (we are a very picky profession!)

Now all I have to do is pursuade my school to ditch about 35 peecees and buy lots of eMacs......

6. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

I initally had the same thoughts when I saw it released but the I asked apple and they assured me about the covers :)

Ensign

7. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

Ahh sweet Ensign, thanks. I've been confused about the speaker covers too. Some shots have them, some don't. Thanks for unconfusing me :)

8. Geert macrumors 6502a

Geert

can I get those covers off my iMac as well? (iMac DV)
    Would love to see those covers coming off. Looks sweeet.

9. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

I am pretty sure you could takt them off, I might try it on my iMac 400 (blueberry) later.

Ensign

10. Geert macrumors 6502a

Geert

I've been trying with a screwdriver, but saw the speaker move out of place, and it felt like the cover would break.
    so I stopped.
    But it looks liek they can be taken off, I'll have another go...
    wish me luck. hehehe

11. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

It'll come off eventually :D Just keep prying!

There's nothing like trying to take apart a computer :p

12. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

LCD Screens in Schools...

If it weren't for the fact that the kids would poke on the screens too much I think they should have LCD screens in schools... No need to pump 'em full of radiation. But then again I guess the schools systems would just see the extra cost and not the added long-term benefits.

13. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

i think that it really depends upon the school.. technically if kids arent watched they can really f*** up a computer... especially those kids that hate macs -- it sounds weird, but at my elementary school some kids hated macs and put disks and stuff in the wrong way.. it just got them in trouble and made them look retarded...

but besides that, if computers are watched and administered well, problems like this dont seem to occur.. and i cant really see a kid actually pokeing a hole in an LCD...

14. Griffindor73 thread starter macrumors member

The kids at my school love the iMac, as it is the only one we have, but this is in England and many of the kids don't know much about Macs. They can easily bugger up a computer as I have to teach in a room with 16 computers, thirty children and, strangely enough, I can't actually watch every single one of them at once! Against actual public perseption teachers are human beings and yes, we even have flaws like no eyes in the back of our heads!:)

15. awulf macrumors 6502

Most kids in the school I go to hate Mac's but they don't vandelise them, maybe it is because they have games or because they contain a lot of fun multimedia programs, which are used during the lessons (not the games). Or it could be that the Mac's are more closely wached than the PC's.

16. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

kids actually do those things to Macs?? they should bring back the cane and beat those grubby little monsters!!

17. awulf macrumors 6502

Or apple could build in special force fields, or mac itelligence that zaps the kids when they do something bad :D

18. billiam0878 macrumors 6502

Along with the speaker ;)

Bill

19. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

Re: LCD Screens in Schools...

how much radiation?

my professor in college who teaches pc hardware thinks that the radiation is definitely bad

soon though, crt's will be completely gone

20. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

Speaking of speakers...

I noticed the new iMac's at the Tampa Apple Store are now sporting speaker covers, as well. They have three large holes and make the Pro Speaker into a complete sphere-shaped doodad.

No such speaker covers on Pro Speakers attached to towers.

21. linux2 macrumors newbie

Ensign Paris. . .

Do you have an eMac? I f so, why does it look like the screen does not fill all the way to the edges? Please tell me it does.