Emac for adobe apps?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Rahlow, Feb 19, 2004.

1. Rahlow macrumors newbie

I am in the process of looking for a new computer. My friends suggested buying a new eMac. I will be using my computer for mostly graphic applications such as: Illustrator, Photoshop, After Effects and flash. Will an eMac handle those apps with the 1gig it runs with? And if so, does it handle as well as a Dell model for a similar price with more speed & ram in the Dell? I can't afford a high end Mac. The eMac is about the extent of fundage.

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Sure, it should handle all those apps. If you compare to a Dell, make sure you're comparing similarly configured machines--the price difference isn't as big as you think. Don't think a Dell with Integrated Video will perform as well as an eMac. And don't forget to add in all the time you'll be spending fighting viruses and spyware on your Dell.

Basic graphics software isn't terribly CPU-intensive, unless you're talking about huge, multi-layered Photoshop documents. For Web design, multitasking becomes more important than raw CPU power, and unlike the Dell, your Mac won't crash under the strain of multiple apps running simultaneously.

3. Doraemon macrumors 6502

All no problem if sufficient RAM is available.

4. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

My University has several labs of eMac's running Illustrator, Photoshop, Director MX, Dreamweaver MX, Flash, After Effects, FCE, etc.

The eMac is a fantastic machine. With a good amount of RAM, you'll be amazed with the machine.

5. Rahlow thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks

I want to thank everyone for their input. I'm coming from a PC based work environment and can't stand the crashing and fatal errors with the Dell's and Compaqs. My experience on Mac is more limited than those machines. What I have heard and what you guys have said has pushed me over into Mac-dom. Gracias.