eMac G4 as a File Server/ iTunes and iPhoto Machine

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by chrismacguy, Feb 14, 2010.

1. macrumors 68000

This is just a quick question:

How much RAM should I stuff in an eMac G4 (1Ghz I believe) to get acceptable performance as both a low-duty File Server and as an iTunes/iPhoto/iMovie '06 Machine? Im currently having this capacity filled by 2 machines: iTunes/iPhoto by a G4/450 and iMovie HD on my G4/1.67 . I know Ill take a slight performance hit, but if it means my PowerBook can go back to being a laptop, its worth it.

Also, could someone recommend a Program to let my Macs see my Windows Server 2003 Servers - Preferably one that runs under 10.3,10.4,10.5 and 10.6 :D

2. macrumors 68030

What do you mean by "see" your servers?
    VNC, RD or simply use the shares of that server?

At least for >10.3 I recommend Microsoft Remote Desktop. Great program that runs much faster that VNC on small bandwidth connections like WLAN.

In case that you only want to use the shared folders, simply hit cmd+k to connect to the server.

3. thread starter macrumors 68000

Remote Desktop is exactly what I was looking for - and idiotic me even had a copy already for connecting to school :eek: - Im just trying to free all my Monitors for Macs and just have my 2 PCs running in the Corner so I can just remote in to change settings and run my few Windows only programs. This will make my setup look cool - itll be perfect when I can afford to get all my Servers (PC) to look the same in a lil line in a corner :cool: