emac g4 vrs imac g5

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by sk8erboy, Jun 7, 2005.

1. sk8erboy macrumors regular

Hello Folks,
    Im fully prepared to make the switch this summer. However, im stuck between the emac, and the iMac.

the emac that is attracting me by price is: http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...wo/EGKO3lO713Ty2qgsguTGmFTnjhQ/4.0.11.1.0.6.3

the more sleek imac that im pondering about is:
    http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...wo/EGKO3lO713Ty2qgsguTGmFTnjhQ/9.0.11.1.0.6.3

which one is the better deal.. better value.. better quality... ?
    i heard that emacs are generally faster than the imac... is this true?
    please, if you dont mind, update me on all thinformation i should know before making my plunge into the mac world.. with either an emac/imac. thanks again.
    sk8 R

2. JasonL macrumors regular

Your configuration of the eMac scares me. Whatever you do, do not buy your RAM from Apple. Get it third party and save a ton of money. I've used both DMS and Crucial and would recommend either (though I usually get better prices from DMS). OWC is also pretty highly regarded.

If you have $1400 to spend get the iMac. The only way the eMac would make sense to me is if you really were on a really tight budget. Then I'd maybe recommend the combo drive eMac without too many options, at which point the iMac makes more sense.

It would also help to maybe know what you are expecting to do with your computer.

I'm sure you'll enjoy having a Mac. :D

3. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

You would be buying the bluetooth module twice in the eMac. You get it once with the airport card combo and once with the keyboard combo. You can save $20 by dropping the airport card combo and just get the airport card in conjuction with the wireless keyboard combo.

Get the eMac if you want to run lower resolutions, don't mind the large footprint, want a tray loading DVD drive that can use non-standard disks and will be using apps that need the extra 512MB.

Get the iMac if you prefer the sleek design, prefer LCD's over CRT's, want an overall faster computer and if you don't need the extra 512MB of RAM.

If you will have small kids using the computer, the eMac would be a better choice. If you will have the computer in an open area of your home, then maybe the iMac would be better.

4. sk8erboy thread starter macrumors regular

i will most likely be using photoshop, nothing major, just a fun hobby i have. imovie and idvd interest me, so perhaps ill start making dvds of family events. other than that ill just surf the web, email, chat, etc.

thanks again..... say is the G4 that much faster than the G5
    is there a big difference between 1.8ghz and 2.0ghz..
    is applecare worth it for an imac??? or emac???

**EDIT**

+ say that i get the lower end iMac, will buying an external dvd burner work on my MAC and my Wintel machine?

+ Also, is iPhoto FULLY compatible with all new digital cameras?

+ so your saying that if i get the wireless keyboard.. i dont have to buy a bluetooth module?????????

+Thanks so much, please update me with other info that you think i should know before making my purchase.

+I heard there was an Apple convention in Boston July 11-14th this summer.. do they sell any computers there at discounted prices??

+Thanks so much,
    SK8R

5. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Actually a G5 is quite a bit faster then a G4. Depends on what you are doing, for light duty work, you may not notice a huge difference between a G4 and a G5. You mentioned Photoshop and on things like that the G5 is really going to shine. That does not mean a 1.42Ghz G4 is not a snappy little machine, it will do quite well.

There is not a huge difference between a 1.8Ghz and a 2.0Ghz G5. Pretty small. Much more between the G4 and the G5.

Applecare is VERY worth it on the eMac and iMac. When I got mine it was $149 and I think maybe it is $169 now, but still it is worth it at that price.

6. pianodude123 macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

How about applecare on the powermac.....I dont have it on my current one, but im thinking about getting it....Is there any way you can extend the warranty above three years...say after the apple care runs out, can you get another?

7. Willy S macrumors 6502

Well....I own an iMac G5 and it looks nice!

However, I haven´t heard many eMac users complaining about their machines. I spoke to a owner of Powerbook 1GHz tonight and he told me that he was very pleased with his computer´s performance and said that he always wanted to get the iMac G5, but he said it´s no point in doing so since he has no complaints about his PB.

My point is that you don´t actually need all the power you can buy today. Your money is better spent on a big display or something you actually are aware of. A dual 2.X Powermac is a complete overkill for websurfing....

8. sk8erboy thread starter macrumors regular

Willy or Abercrombie....

what is your opinion on the lower and middle version of the iMac. I know there is a very minimal ghz difference.. but is the dvd burner worth the extra $200 along with the .2 ghz increase and the slightly faster buss?
    thanks again, all of you, for your help

-SK8r

9. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

If you are doing movies, photoshop, music, a DVD burner (either internal or external) is almost a must-have. Just for the 4.7 Gb space for backups and transporting files. Not to mention burning DVDs of your iMovie projects.

No you can't buy Macs at a discount anywhere (except if you are a developer or a student.) At the time of trade shows, Apple sometimes introduces new machines, and the remaining stocks of "last week's model" sometimes are discounted for a brief period (1 - 3 days) until they sell out the stock.

10. sk8erboy thread starter macrumors regular

is it worth getting the lower version imac and adding an external dvd burner...
    or just getting the 17inch superdrive ???

11. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

You're not going to notice the difference that much, unless you're continually using processor intensive applications and then the difference will be minor. For 200 you could easily buy an external burner probably a faster one too. I'm sure you could use an external for your wintel as well. Just check the packaging to make sure it plays well with Macs and PCs.

12. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

It comes down to if you want a Superdrive or not. The processor will not have much impact. Sure you get a little faster FSB and 200Mhz, but for most tasks both will be fast. I have the 1.8Ghz iMac Rev. A and it is a fast computer. I am glad I got the Superdrive model. I have all my music and photos backed up on DVD. The Superdrive 17" 2Ghz iMac is a great buy if you want a fast computer that will burn DVD's for backup and movies. I would recommend that model for anyone looking for a good powerful all in one package.

13. Etrain macrumors 6502

Etrain

I am a recent switcher and I was considering the mini and the iMac. I played with everything in the Apple store and loved all of them. I really couldn't decide and was just going to get the mini until the iMac was updated. I do the same things as you with my computer. I really love my iMac and I don't regret buying it, but thats me. You might want to go play with them at an Apple store. They have Photoshop on them in the store and you can mess around with them. Either way you will honestly love it.

Good luck!