Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Prombar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2008
i reacantly tryed to isntall mac os X leopard and it first deleted my hard drive (if i turn it on it get the folder with the finder face and a question mark) But the DVD didnt work so i just have this desktop machine sitting here so i thought i would try to install ubuntu on it SO I GO INTO THE the boot options by holding down option after the start up sound

i pop in the cd and i hear it spining and then nothing comes up usally a cd icon comes up and you can click on it and jump into the cd

so i reboot it and hold C

... no dice it still didnt work
idk why its not booting off the cd

any suggestions

BTW I AM NOT CALLING APPLE dont tell me to call them please =]

chris200x9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2006
nothing at all not even a command line? I don't know talk to people at ubuntuforums.org that is an ubuntu problem not mac.....although I don't now how good or quickly you will get answered since it's not an "official" port....

Prombar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2008
nothing at all not even a command line? I don't know talk to people at ubuntuforums.org that is an ubuntu problem not mac.....although I don't now how good or quickly you will get answered since it's not an "official" port....

i get a command line that says

boot:

and i hit enter and it goes into the ubuntu loading bar and that fills up and the black

chris200x9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2006
hmmmm....if you are not easily intimidated I would suggest a distro with a "proper" ppc port like gentoo or something ppc only like yellowdog.....I don't know I'm not really a linux guru(though I am pretty good if I do say so myself :p)

Prombar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2008
hmmmm....if you are not easily intimidated I would suggest a distro with a "proper" ppc port like gentoo or something ppc only like yellowdog.....I don't know I'm not really a linux guru(though I am pretty good if I do say so myself :p)

Ohh no dude I'm cool with trying something different yeah a bit of a geek

which one do you recommend

chris200x9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2006
Ohh no dude I'm cool with trying something different yeah a bit of a geek

which one do you recommend

I've never used yellowdog I hear some people complain alot about it but I've heard good things too....I personally I use gentoo but gentoo compiles everything from source I don't find it bad (I have a Q6600 OC'd to 3.0ghz) but for a g4 I could see it taking quiet a while to install anything.....I guess debian has a ppc port too....I would look through this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Linux_distributions at the end it has a grid showing wich has a port to which arch....btw don't worry about ppc64 you just want ppc I think ppc64 was 64 bit extensions introduced in the g5....

Arne

macrumors regular
May 14, 2006
Germany
if you want to give ubuntu another shot, try entering "live vga=791" (without the "") when it says boot:
the problem might be the resolution, the parameter above will set it to a lower value... if it works you will be happy to have a pretty good linux distro, especially if you haven't worked with linux before...

Prombar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2008
if you want to give ubuntu another shot, try entering "live vga=791" (without the "") when it says boot:
the problem might be the resolution, the parameter above will set it to a lower value... if it works you will be happy to have a pretty good linux distro, especially if you haven't worked with linux before...

i tryed it

and it didnt work i think its not detecting my monitor

bengal85

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2008
USA
Pretty sure that you got the wrong version. but if not there might be minimum requirements that are not being met on your computer (such as not enough ram, or not a fast enough processor)

ddeadserious

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2008
Plymouth, MI
They're pretty helpful on the Ubuntu forums, just search and make sure nobody else has had this problem, and then post up. They'll walk you through over there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.