emac Graphix

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by DubiDo, Aug 12, 2005.

1. DubiDo macrumors newbie

Aug 12, 2005
    whats up people, i am new, so bare with me :) anyway my question is , is it possible to upgrade my graphics card in my emac?? i have a 1.25 mhz emac with 1256 mb ram and 80 gig hard drive, and you probably know the graphics card much better, ATI 9200 i think, i know its 32 mb, so is it possible to replace it with a better one??? its not PCI i think? thanks for th input
  2. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

Jan 30, 2005
    Greenville, NC
    The eMac's ATi Radeon 9200 32MB graphics card is soldered onto the motherboard and can't be replaced. The only way to replace it would be to buy a eMac 1.42GHz's motherboard, but even then you can't be sure that it would work. If you need better graphics, you might want to consider upgrading to a iMac G5 or a PowerMac.
  3. aquajet macrumors 68020

Feb 12, 2005
    The PowerMac G5 is the only computer currently offered by Apple that allows for a graphics card upgrade. All other models are soldered on the board. :(
  4. DubiDo thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 12, 2005
    cant replace?

can you buy one and replace it, with the old one, solder a different one on?? is that possible, and do they sell any?? :rolleyes:
  5. combatcolin macrumors 68020

Oct 24, 2004
    Northants, UK
    Yes!, you can!

Although you'll need a degree in computer science, a brain like Prof X and nerves of steel.

Seriously though, if you want more oomph you'll have to sell the eMac, as you already have shedloads of RAM
  6. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

Jun 15, 2005
    As people have said already, no you can't upgrade it. However, you wouldn't have to fork out much more if you sold that one and bought the latest eMac model. It'll work out a bit more than a graphics card but hey, you get a faster processor! :D