Emac Hard Drive Replacements

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by matthias, May 4, 2004.

1. macrumors newbie

I have a Maxtor 40 GB hard drive, and it is currently beginning to develop some bad sectors, so I want to replace it. Will OS X automatically recognize it and go with whatever I put in it? Also, is there size issues on an emac? Thanks, gstechman@alltel.net

2. macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

all ide drives are pretty much the same size. just make sure you have the new one jumpered right before you put everything back together. it would suck having to reopen it just for that.

3. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

You will need to get some thermal pads for the drive, and be extremely careful about working around the charged CRT.

4. macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

wouldn't the emac already have thermal pads in it if they were needed? if it does he can just use those.

5. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The pads are applied to the drive, not the computer.

Remove the drive and you remove the pads.

There are a couple on the top and some on the side.

6. macrumors G4

Mord

be very careful about taking your emac apart the service manual lists the possible injurys you can get:

death

7. macrumors 68040

jxyama

and it's absolutely true. CRT is a big capacitor - it will hold significant amount of charge for quite some time, even if unplugged.

8. macrumors G4

Mord

ecspecially if it is unpluged it's like a block of polystyrine in a room full of cats