eMac, how do you clear them off?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by gunjeep444, Mar 2, 2010.

1. gunjeep444
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors newbie

I got a new iMac, like to give away my eMac, how does one clear off everything safely? I do have some credit card info on it and my passwords. or should I just toss it, after using a sledge?

2. patrickdunn
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

Use disk utility to wipe the disk, then reinstall OSX.

Don't hit it with the hammer! I'll pay for you to ship it to me!

3. polotska
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

Exactly. Boot from the system restore disc that came with the computer (or with any OS X Install disc) and do an erase and install. You can zero the drive as well if you prefer.

4. MacHamster68
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

dare to hit it with a hammer :eek:, i book the next flight and do the same to your new imac if you do ;)

5. raysfan81
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

raysfan81

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

6. Dino1956
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors member

Toss It ? Sledge Hammer? That's a nice older Mac that can make someone very happy with . Put it on CraigsList. You could get some Cash for it & make someone happy all at once. I have one. They are beautiful.

7. gunjeep444
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, I'll see if I can find that disc and clear it off. Not sure I have the old OSX with Classic disc or not. Bought it from the Apple store 7 years ago, not sure they sent the discs or not, but problably did.

8. MacHamster68
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

if you cant find the original discs , your neighbor or a friend might have a retail disc , one second you said 7 years old then its a 700 or 800mhz model i guess ,so osx up to panther will do the trick and if not you can always take out the harddrive , its not that difficult , then put it in a usb or firewire enclosure and wipe it with the disc utility of your imac , put it back in , sorted
    then sell it and make someone very happy

9. ADent
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

If you can't find the disks you can mount it via Firewire Target Disk mode and use Disk Utility to erase the drive.

10. gunjeep444
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors newbie

GOt a buddy coming over to help me clear it. Giving the computer to a friend, his wife won't let him buy one, the emac should do what he wants, which is mostly email and web browsing. Thanks!