eMac kernel panics!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Kingsly, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

My eMac has had two kernel panics today, a new personal record. The first time I was launching iTunes. The second time it was displaying the flurry screen saver. The only common denominator is bit torrent (which has been running all week) so I don't think that is the problem. I am running 10.3.9, 768 Mbytes of RAM and I have Screen Spanning activated, but again it has been running for about a year with screen spanning. What's going on?

I just remembered that I have three external hard drives hooked up. One which was attached for the first time yesterday. magic

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Installed anything inside the computer recently (such as RAM)? -I've heard that can cause kernel panics.

Try unplugging the new external HDD for a few days, as see if that helps.

3. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Nope, the last install I did was RAM six months ago. If it panics again I will disconnect the HDD. Also, should I try resetting PRAM (just because I can)?

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I really doubt resetting the PRAM will help. I'm almost certain this is bit-torrent problem. File sharing apps are notorious for giving kernel panics randomly. The only sure-fire solution is to not use them. :eek:

5. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Bad to worse...

Okay, well the file is almost done downloading, so hopefully it will go away after that.
    On a lighter note...
    could not wake my eMac from sleep. nothing worked, I even tried unplugging and re-plugging-in the keyboard (incase it was a USB problem) and finally resorted to a hard shut down. Arrgh! Where is my MacBook Pro?!

Edit* Weird things happening... Flurry is extremely smooth now- regularly when spanned across two monitors it is slow and jumpy on one. Also the mouse turns invisible on the safari toolbar (i.e when I try to click reload)
    Overall the computer seems really spunky, everything is really smooth and FAST!
    Strange... I did reset PRAM. If this is what is does I will reset PRAM more often!

6. generik macrumors 601

generik

No way, since the bit torrent app is running with user priviledges it should not affect the kernel in any way. Unless you contracted spyware on MacOS? :eek:

7. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

Kingsly

More tests. Its like my mac is on steroids. I have never seen the genie move so fast! Its kind of scary. I afraid with that kind of momentum the minimized window will do some damage upon contact with the dock.
    Scrolling- fast
    HTML rendering- fast
    genie- Holy @*%&!
    Quicktime- very smooth, continues to play in dock, plays (without momentarily hanging) while being minimized!!!!!!!!!

I know all of you with G5's are thing "so?" but on an eMac this is something else. Whatever I did was good. Ideas?

8. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

When's the last time you had shutdown your computer until now?

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Not sure I'm on the same wavelength. Are you saying apps cannot cause kernel panics? FWIW, most file sharing apps I can think of would use system and root-based processes to function. :)

10. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

Kingsly

I shutdown every night. When I launched safari today it did not bounce even once in the dock, it acted as if I already had it open and hit Cmd+N.
    c'mon bit torrent... 397 Mbytes to go...