emac memory

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by quadrant6, Dec 7, 2002.

1. macrumors newbie

Well I may be buying my emac tomorrow. The girl in the mac store gave me the price and inlcuded the applecare 3 year warrenty and extra 512bm of ram (both with additional costs)

I noticed tlater on that the price was pretty expensive for this extra 512mb sd-ram.

I have 3 questions:

1. The ram that comes default with the macs, emac in this case is just generic sd-ram isn't it? therefore the extra 512mb of ram she was offering will no doubt be generic too.

2. Can the emac take pc133 sd-ram or pc100 (or both)

3. If I say no and get some nice brand (Crucial) ram elsewhere and put it in myself would that void the warrenty at all?

thanks.

2. macrumors 6502a

PC-133 ram is backwards compatible with PC-100, so you could put your own in. However, if you put in your own (non-apple approved) Ram, and that Ram causes damage to your system, the repairs WILL NOT be covered under AppleCare warranty.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

2X Kingston 512MB, SDRAM, DIMM, PC133

that way i can get 1GB of decent name ram for the same price as what the store girl was giving me for 512mb generic apple ram.

However i want to be sure this ram will be ok, has anyone here used this type of ram?

4. macrumors 65816

strider42

You should never buy ram from apple. its way expensive, and since ram is a user installable part, it won't void your warranty to install it (the other poster may be right, in that damage caused by the ram may not be covered, but seriously, I have never once heard of that happening). check out ramseeker.com.

5. Wes
    macrumors 68020

Wes